Tags:
  1. EightyD

EightyD Member

Heartwarming stories

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by EightyD, Feb 29, 2020.

What is it that makes a story heartwarming? I've found that having a relatable vulnerable character helps, but what else makes a story warm the heart?

2. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  3. SwordyPop

SwordyPop New Member

For me, it's relationships. And to be honest I don't mean in the romantic sense. Seeing a strong friendship and bond form naturally throughout a story is particularly satisfying for me. Double the points if they have conflicting personalities and identities. :love:

EightyD likes this.
  4. Whitecrow

Whitecrow Active Member

My thoughts.
    Human stories that show a positive transformation both in the hero and in the surrounding world. Everything is done through simple and understandable emotions and small but important additional actions, which are done from attention to the world and others.

I remember a short animated cartoon that I once saw. The main character was an ordinary old man working as a night watchman in a mannequin factory.
    (Loneliness. That which is easy to understand and with which it is easy to make a connection. But you can use any negative emotion.)

In the beginning they showed how lonely he was at his work. The feeling that we all felt from time to time. To amuse himself, he began to play and have fun with mannequins.
    (A man is trying to somehow solve his problem on his own.)

Then he finds out that one of the workers has a birthday tomorrow. He decides to use the mannequin and make a surprise for him. And then surprise after surprise for each of the employees. They just came to work and they were met with pleasant surprises.
    (He did good things and tried to make the world a better place by doing something abroad something that was expected of him. People almost never do something unnecessary for the sake of people we don’t even know. We build walls around our hearts, instead of trying to touch the hearts of the people around.)

In the end, when cristmass came, he went to work all sad and lonely. He was sure that he would have another sad day again with a bunch of mannequins.When he came to work and went to the elevator to his floor, he was greeted by all the employees of the company with a cake and congratulations.
    (The character got what he deserved.)

(These stories always begin as sad and dramatic stories with a good ending. Your goal is to make the reader understand the pain of the protagonist. Show him not just a positive character, but someone who goes beyond the borders for the sake of others. Then show how for all his actions, he was awarded release from the cause of his suffering.)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    EightyD likes this.