1. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Haze-world, Nov 15, 2015.

I have been on this site quite a bit, having overlooked this new members forum, so I should now introduce myself. I am creative by nature, but until now it has been in textiles (spinning yarns, knitting weaving to mention a few).

I started writing at the beginning of this year (fantasy) and really wish I had discovered this site before I started as I have learned so much just in the last few weeks on this forum. I have never used a forum before, so it can be daunting at times: At times answering the wrong people and burying my answer in their statement(!?!) but I'm learning fast.

: )

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Is that a bag in your avatar? It's too small to make out the detail but I'm guessing you made it yourself? I love crafts but I suck at them, so I admire you :D

3. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

:) Ha! Thanks. Its kind of you to say.
    It's a cushion cover. It was meant to be a tea cosy but came out too gigantic and this way I get to see it in all its craziness everyday(!?!) I had fun dyeing and spinning this wool and mohair.
    We all have to start somewhere with crafts, it's worth trying if you get time and want to do it.
    What kind of crafts have you tried?

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I think another hobby would break my brain :D

I used to do a lot of cross-stitch when I was a kid. I was okay at that, but you can't really mess up cross-stitch! My nan taught me to knit but I never got the hang of it. Too tight. I tried painting, and whilst I'm okay at still life I have no imagination to create my own pictures, and even my still life is no better than average. I learned to crochet but nothing ever came of that.

I'm sure I could learn to do one or more things well (except maybe painting, I have NO imagination) if I put the time in. Unfortunately time is one thing I don't have enough of.

5. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Time constraints are understandable.
    I am the same with painting. At least your imagination can run free in your writing for now then later, with more time you may find yourself crafting too.
    : )

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome! ^^ Great to see you've already found your way around the forum. In case there are still some lingering questions about the ins and outs of WF, here's our New Member Quick Start . :)

See you around!

-Kat

7. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

Hi!
    Kudos on the dying spinning etc. I knit and crotchet a bit, I suck at it but enjoy it.

(I'm new too)

8. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Hi Gisella
    I expect you are better at knitting and crochet than you think. It gets better with practise and fun to do anyway. I really hope the writing does too.
    What have you made so far? I'm guessing you've got into all these new fancy yarns with velvety feel and pompous.

9. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

I can't help but buy very expensive hand dyed yarns, they cost a ridiculous amount compared to the cheapo stuff you can buy, but they feel lovely and have such awesome colours, probably my favourite at the moment is Posh Yarns. I've made a baggy, shapeless purple jumper (knitting), a few blankets (knitting and crotchet) and a bag (crotchet).

What kind of stuff are you writing?

10. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

That was 'pompoms' by the way.:)

11. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

I guessed.

12. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Ha! A woman with good taste in her yarns then!
    I'm working on an epic fantasy, full of tropes (I'm learning) and as I have no idea which tropes have deteriorated into cliches, I will have to hope for the best that the readers will be very forgiving : 0

Am I right in thinking you are writing a very modern vampire book? My memory is terrible.

13. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

No, no vampires in my books. I right a variety of stuff but most of it erotica. Tropes don't all have to be bad. I'll happily crit your work when you are ready, I'm quite a fan of fantasy. Oh and I've done some scarves to (Crochet and knitting)

14. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

@Haze-world You might be thinking of me, with the modern vampire book.

15. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Ha! I stumbled across that section of the workshop when I was dozy as it was late, thinking fantasy had just ramped up on all the 'naughty' stuff! But it's easy to hit the wrong link. Daft!
    Have you ever considered writing fantasy, as you like it.
    Thanks for the offer of reading my stuff, I'll bear it in mind : )

16. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

No, I firmly had you down as queen of vampire books, ha! I hope you are working on that cliche loaded vampire story, because although I haven't been a fan of vampire so far, I suspect you may change my mind : )

Imaginarily likes this.
  17. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

32,857 clichés and counting.

The first chapter is in the Workshop for your reading pleasure. It's broken up into three pieces, you can access them via my profile.

Happy to receive any critique you may have for them too. :-D

18. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Excellent! I shall check it out later

Imaginarily likes this.
  19. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

I have, but my natural home seems to be the short story, and if I'm going to go to all the trouble of creating a secondary world I want to get more than 5k words out of it.

20. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

You could write a series of stories in the world, I guess.

21. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

I get bored. Anyway, all my stories tend to go a certain way... and fantasy erotica, is that a thing?

22. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Erotic fantasy is certainly a 'thing' although I read that it is mainly male dominated, aimed at men. Perhaps you will be part of a new and interesting change in the sub group.

23. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Greetings Haze-world... again... :D

24. Haze-world

Haze-world Active Member

Hi Necronox
    With all our talk about swords, it got me thinking and this is open to anyone who listens in too.

:superidea:What is your favourite weapon in your world? This would be the one you most like to describe in action.

I hesitate to think what your reply will be, Gisella, if you're listening(!?!) :supershock:

25. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Language, or more specifically, communication, would be my favourite weapon.

I also, cannot pass on this opportunity to quote given the topic and history of the conversation: "The pen is mightier then the sword"

but, if i was in a fight and talking was not an optional or sensible way out, then skill would be my weapon. Even with the deadliest weapon in the world, if you're untrained... But then again, spray'n'pray is a legit tactic.