Tags:
  1. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

Phew! Now that Christmas is over. . .

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tessie, Dec 28, 2010.

What did you guys get that you wish to brag about? Or you can tell us what you did that was especially festive. :D

2. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Even though I have plenty of extended family we didn't get together, everyone is busy doing their own thing I suppose and a lot of my family I find are uncomfortable to be around.

I didn't actually get anything, gift wise, but I'll probably be buying myself a folding bike soon. :)

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I got a Nintendo DS, so I'm happy about that. :D

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I managed to make a good turkey gravy this year. Yay me!

(I know - my wants are small ...)

5. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Both turkeys I cooked turned out good, so I'm happy about that.

And I got another music box. :D

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

We surprised my family by driving down on Christmas Eve night. That was pretty spectacular. :D

And amongst the pretty rad presents that we got my family (seriously, don't want to toot my own horn or anything, but Joel and I are pretty phenomenal gift givers;)) was a bike for my 2 year old nephew. Cutest thing I've ever seen? Him opening it. His face went kind of blank for a second, like he wasn't sure if what he was seeing was real, and then he got this huge smile on his face and yelled "I got a bike ride!" over and over.

7. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Tickets to the Oshawa Generals/Cheaterborough Cheats game January 9th. The Cheats are our arch-rivals, and they are terrible this season, and the Generals are near the top of the league, so it should be fun.

Also, Fringe season one dvds, some books, and Evangelia Heretika by Behemoth.

But my favourite- a good recording of Giacomo Puccini's Turandot. I've looked everywhere for it, so it was a very pleasant surprise.

I had an excellent Christmas, much better than I expected- two straight nights in Toronto with my extended family, staying out until 2 am. My family is a lot of fun, so it was a great time.

8. Tessie

I had a wonderful, noisy day beginning squarely at 7:30. I have a big immediate family, my other relatives had their own separate holidays this year, so it was a grand day for me and my family.

I got a camera and two history books that I absolutely adore.

The unwrapping of the presents lasted for hours, which made the day extra special and last longer than usual.

We ate a ton of food. Sirloin that was cooked in the oven for hours, which makes it fall apart into a delicious gravy, potates, squash, and other like side courses.

And then for dessert, there was Apple Crisp, frosted brownies, Christmas tree cookies, peanut butter blossoms, and gingerbread cookies.

All in all, my family had a blessed day. Sighhh. Each year I think the upcoming holiday can't possibly top the last one, but then it always does. Great to hear about your holidays, guys. :D

9. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

I've got a Discovery DVD (I love their DVDs) and candy :D

10. Pallas

This is like the quintessential Christmas experience! Can I come next time, tess? I eat very little and take up little space as well.

Glad it was such a great time. :)

11. Tessie

Of course, Pallas! :)

You won't mind six younger children running about the house while we try to share apple cider, egg nog, and coffee around the fireplace, do you? :p I think you would fit right in.

12. minstrel

I forgot to mention that I gave myself some musical scores. Beethoven's 5,6,7 Symphonies in full score, and Dvorak's 9th (The New World) in full score. I've never read symphonies in full score as I'm listening to them before, and it's very instructive! I get to take the music apart to see how it all works.

Hmm. I have half a mind to just take all the individual parts of the New World Symphony and play them on my guitar and my synthesizer, mix them all together, and see what comes out. It'll sound horrible, but it'll kind of be a Classical Music 101 course. Fun!

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I got a super phat (yeah, I know. No on says phat anymore) Nikon digital SLR camera. I can use my lenses from my old Nikon F2 film camera with this camera so I am SOOooo happy I never got rid of them. I have a few different lenses and they were expensive!

It is rockumentorious!

14. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

We shall make it cool again!

Join the PHAT crusade!

(Does anyone else think that phat is waaaaaay less annoying than sick?)

15. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I am getting two days in bed - with husband looking after kids and internet access :) beats any christmas present lol OOOH and Apple and Cinnamon Chocoaholic Chocs :) All I need is a bottle of wine and it would be perfect.

16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I got:

1) PS3
    2) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    3) Uncharted 2: Among Theives
    4) A new watch
    5) Framed picture of my highschool graduation
    6) Sweatshirt from my university
    7) Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (For the 360)
    8) The Sly Cooper Trilogy
    9) A Kent Burns DVD about the Civil War

That was it. :D

17. Pallas

I think I remember sly cooper from back in the day.

Burns' Civil War was simply fantastic, great gifts man! :)

18. Tessie

Yeah, nice presents! I love Ken Burns' stuff. He goes into great detail, and what you learn is astonishing!

Sounds good to me! :D

19. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

I got a tattoo for Christmas, yay me!

20. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Biggest surprise had to be a cool mug, similar to this but with the Joker on it.

Got some money as well which I used to buy a windproof jacket and gloves for when I go cycling, I used them today and they are awesome.

Overall had a much better Christmas then I was expecting, I've got loads of beer in so its going to be a very merry new year as well.

21. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I'm jealous. I want to get another tattoo, but Joel doesn't want me to. :( Boo.

22. minstrel

I pity people who get tattoos for Christmas. What could they have done that made Santa hate them so much?

I loathe tattoos. I've never seen a tattoo that improved upon just plain skin. And I've worked on construction sites and seen a lot of tattoos.

23. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I got a beautiful game for Christmas. Kingdom Hearts II. I've played it 4 hours a day since Christmas because I'm addicted. Also, A shirt thats too small, Perfume and sky blue converses.
    Bragging ended.

24. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

I bought the Chronicles of Narnia for myself. I'm so excited. Too bad I don't have the time to read it yet.

1 person likes this.
  25. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I got a leather jacket and a really cool metallic shimmery bracelet and a gift certificate for target practice at the local shooting range. (Of course I don't hunt or anything like that, but I do make a point of knowing how to handle a weapon, in case someone breaks in and tries to hurt me or something).

Minstrel, just my own personal opinion here but I've got to respectfully disagree on the tattoo thing. Yes, people who just get some random doodle just for the hell of it are idiots (like the person who gets a smiley face or something that they'll hate within the next year). But if you've spent a long time thinking about it (to make sure you still want it) and it's a symbol that means something important to you, getting a tattoo can be an act of personal and artistic empowerment.

But, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread by turning it into a heated debate on tattoos hehe.

Merry Post-Christmas!

Ooooh guess what I'm doing on 5 a.m. of Dec. 31st (aka right now)...FINISHING A NOVEL! I'm on the last chapter, last scene, will be ending within the next page. I'm so excited! :)