1. Bubba Shakespeare

Bubba Shakespeare New Member

Storytelling in written form!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bubba Shakespeare, Feb 27, 2018.

I'm not quite sure how I ended up here, but after 40 years of talking, I have decided that I would like to give writing a try. From a very early age I was encouraged by my parents to participate in public and extemporaneous speaking contests. I always assumed it was because I never stopped talking. I fell in love with the idea of writing speech's, especially in the extemporaneous contests because you didn't really have time to doubt yourself, sort of a say the first thing that comes to mind. I was heavily influenced by story telling and found myself drawn to the likes of Jerry Clower and Lewis Grizzard. A few years ago I noticed some of my Facebook posts had gone from short quips to short stories and decided that I would try my hand at storytelling in written form. I'm looking forward to learning from the community.

2. Atchemes Beagle

Atchemes Beagle Member

Welcome, Bubbba. I wonder if I can get my brother to do some writing. And less talking. :D

3. Bubba Shakespeare

That's what mine said, so maybe there is hope for him yet.

4. Andrew Alvarez

Andrew Alvarez Senior Member

Hey, if just a little more of people put on writing their storytelling, this would be indeed and even more awesome world! Sometimes, when chilling out with friends, I regret not having with me a recorder... that's the wonder of it! Nice to meet you, and hope to learn also a thing or two about storytelling, specially into the first person style, that'I'm just exploring recently. See ya!

Bubba Shakespeare likes this.
  5. Atchemes Beagle

Atchemes Beagle Member

I love First Person, especially present tense. However, I've had some negative reactions from it, which makes me wonder if it's really just a matter of preferred style. My favorite author launches into first-person-present often, and I love it. I just need to emulate him. Yeah, right. :meh:

6. Andrew Alvarez

I'm quite certain that there are some parameters to make it more appealing, apart of also being a matter of preference. Unfortunately, I'm really new onto the style, and sometimes I struggle hard with convey the right profiling of the character on the whole prose. It's not nice when skips from first view, to third, and back to first, ant that happens me a lot! That's why a nice storyteller is always interesting to read, because the tale when doing good preserves integrity (that feel to lack on my own).

That's cool! From emulation comes learning at its finest. It would neat to watch the progression in time, to check how you got the little gems from your favorite author. A sight to see! Persevere :)

7. Bubba Shakespeare

Based on some common reactions I’ve received in the past I think it’s a delivery mechanism issue. I believe the challenge is getting the intended sarcasam that is easily dectected by a listener when a story is spoken, transferred to a reader when the story is written. I guess that’s what makes a great writer great. I found that when telling a story people would laugh and enjoy. Write the same story and I get friends ask me if everything is ok or express how they have the same frustrations about the issue. They have completely missed the fact that at no point was I being serious. I actually have a friend that every time she reads one of my posts or stories she texts or emails me worried that I’m upset, complain too much, why aren’t you happy, etc. She’s become my benchmark for the bottom limit of who I’ll accept critiques from, which is sometimes very beneficial.

Andrew Alvarez likes this.
  8. Atchemes Beagle

Atchemes Beagle Member

Yeah, this is interesting. I've started to think that humor is the direction I want to go, but talk about challenging! Much like the effect of First Person, it's about delivery. Too loud and readers will groan. Too subtle and people won't get it (or they'll call asking if you're ok. :oops:)

9. Andrew Alvarez

Maybe it´s because, when talking the story, the message has to share his place with the emphasis and emotion that the storyteller conveys, but when it´s written this does not happen, and people stops enjoying your story and begins to analyze it instead. Sarcasm is the element that conveys easier and quicker a sense of empathy that the pure narrative lacks.

Exactly. That´s the whole point of it. To know when to add, and when to stop it, to not trigger wrong flags on the audience.