1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

I've got a mystery for you guys....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Mar 19, 2015.

Well I've got an interesting puzzle for you guys to try to comprehend. Today was St. Patrick's day and our family isn't Irish, but we still like to celebrate it. Anyways to surprise the younger kids my parents set out chocolates across the floor leading to our shoes (because Leprechauns leave candy if you leave your shoes at the door). The pathway of chocolates were Andes candies (you know the small mint-chocolate bars that you get at Olive Garden when you're paying the bill). Anyways this morning we woke up, and in our shoes we got chocolate lollipops. Then something strange happened though... I had no clue about the Andes candies and neither did my siblings, but for some reason they were all missing in the morning. My parents set the chocolate out early in the morning and went to bed, so they were confused when they woke up why just the Andes candies were missing. Anyways we first figured that maybe one of the siblings stole the candies, because that would just seem logical, but after an investigation we found no one stole the candies. So this is where things get really out of whack... we have mice in our house, but would they steal the Andes candy? It sounds logical, but there was no evidence mice took it... you would think that if the mice took it A) They would've left some behind or B) They would've left droppings, but the chocolates were just gone.

So main question here... do you think mice could collect the chocolates without making any mess, but this would also question why they didn't try to take the lollipops. This is freaking me out so if someone could explain it would be much appreciated.

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Someone in your family is having a laugh. Are any of them practical jokers?

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I confess! It was me. I love those chocolate mint things they give you at Olive Garden. Irish or not, I boarded a flight to New Hampshire and infiltrated your home to abscond with your candies, because I determined by astrology that you were going to put them out on St. Patrick's Day.

My highly-skilled team and I, equipped with narwhal tusks and some bits of 1970s-era Fruit of the Loom underwear, escaped back to the New Hampshire airport (there is an airport in New Hampshire, isn't there?) and flew back to California. We then shaved off our disguise mustaches so that nobody would recognize us.

After setting fire to the airport restrooms as a distraction, we quickly ingested the candies because, hey, candies! Then, sweating with fear and civic pride and candy-induced blood pressure issues, we sought out buses and hailed cabs and hid in other passengers' luggage in order to escape the confines of LAX. The authorities, specifically some local church groups and Boy Scouts, were onto us, and they kept a close eye on the local fast food joints and skate parks, as well as bake sales. I thought about changing nationality.

In a moment of pique, I called NASA to see if there were any available seats on the next flight to the International Space Station, but they said I had to call the Russians because NASA doesn't go there anymore. By then, the candy aftertaste was pretty much out of my mouth and it was time for some goddamn rum.

So, with a hearty toast to the Norse gods, we reconvened to celebrate yet another successful adventure.

Note to @theoriginalmonsterman: None of the above is strictly true. I was just bored.

4. theoriginalmonsterman

Still was a fun read though :D
    Nope..... we're still pointing fingers at each other though XD

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yes, mice might have collected the mints and hoarded them somewhere. As for the droppings, look very closely, they only leave little specks and you might not have noticed them.

One mouse can empty my dogs' entire dish of kibbles in a night. I once found one of my hiking boots in the closet stuffed full of kibbles. The mice take food from one place and stash it in another.

Put out a mouse trap and you'll have your answer.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Hahaha that must have been rather funny to discover! Well, not for you perhaps but it sounds like something out of a comedy :D

Out of interest, OP, were the chocolates in wrappers? I'm not familiar with these Andies candies. Cus if they weren't even wrapped, but the lollipops were, it may explain why the mice went for the chocs and not the pops. In any case, chocolate smells a lot stronger than lollipops.

7. theoriginalmonsterman

They were in wrappers, so there goes that theory XD
    The poor mice though ;-;

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You can always trap and release with a 'tin cat'.
    [​IMG]

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  9. trimarine

trimarine Member

The leprechauns must not like you. Shall we get the hunting rifles?

10. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

mice.... No, not mice. If you look carefully at your own story the main suspect is clear...

It was YOU @theoriginalmonsterman It is the only thing that makes sense. To convince your family that you were not the thief, you posted this story here as a front for your interest in solving this mystery. You were upset because they didn't put candy for your shoes. Just a few years ago they did the same for you, but now, your too old to have your own trail. So you decided if you couldn't get any chocolate, no one would.

Your plan for revenge was simple. You knew you had a very short time frame to steal the candy in the morning so you set a silent alarm to wake you up, a few minutes before your siblings wake. Quickly and quietly you snatched the candies and stored them as your own personal stash. With you leading the investigation, it was easy to alter blame away from yourself, and plus, who would suspect the eldest sibling? Even if they somehow did, you knew that they wouldn't find your secret location so easily.

It was good plan, and you would have gotten away with it too. But you didn't plan for everything. No... The only thing you didn't prepare for, was me. :supercool:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Outstanding detective work, @Megalith! Congratulations!

Of course, @theoriginalmonsterman has already eaten all the evidence, and his blood sugar is back to normal by now, so you can't prove your case in court. But don't worry - we believe you. :agreed:

Megalith likes this.
  12. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

If only I had thought of blaming mice that time I was caught shoplifting.

13. theoriginalmonsterman

That... doesn't make sense though. Why would I be asking you for help if I did it? o_O

Well I guess this mystery will never be solved, so now whenever I go to sleep at night I can continuously worry that there's something in my house that shouldn't be there. All well for getting sleep. ;-;

14. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Mice are definite hoarders. I used to work at Petco, and every morning, we feed them. I'd have to dig through their bedding and pull every piece of food out from it and put it back in their dish. Couldn't over feed them, you understand..

But I don't think mice would've done this. I'm a big fan of those mints. Those are big mints. Unless you have the biggest mice in the world, they wouldn't be able to fit that mint in their mouth, or even hold it between their teeth to travel. And they damn sure wouldn't just drag it with them wherever they were going. A rat may be able to fit them in their mouth, but not a mouse.

My guess: fairies. They like sparkly things after all. o_O

Okay, so I have no idea. But I don't think there's any way a mouse would've been able to do that. Maybe a rat.

Please don't kill the poor mice. :cry: They just hungry. If you must get rid of them, get a humane trap and let them loose. Or buy a cage and keep them! But please don't kill the poor things. :superfrown:

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Yes, that is a mystery.

theoriginalmonsterman likes this.
  16. theoriginalmonsterman

We don't have rats... I know that much, but maybe it's a chipmunk. My mom something scurry across the floor and it was bigger rodent. It would make sense if a chipmunk did it, because they're built to carry bigger nuts.

17. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Did y'all ever have a hamster that got loose in your house? lol

18. theoriginalmonsterman

Nope... the only pet we ever had was a bird who's sadly dead, so yeah nope :p

19. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

*I pass through the wall of your bedroom and stare at you from the foot of your bed*

Ooooooo! Thaaaanks for the fooooooooddd!! *sinks through the floor*

I'm a ghooooooooossstt!!

Mckk and theoriginalmonsterman like this.