1. randomme1

randomme1 Member

Brainstorm for Name of a race

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by randomme1, Sep 24, 2012.

Ok so I need a brainstorm here. I'm trying to find a name for a race of divine angelic type beings. Some of them look like the typical Christian angels, most of them look like humanoid eagles. Some of them are a mix between the two. I came up with the name "Deuvian" for them from the two Latin words Deus and Avion for god and bird. It sounds good to me, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to get a few ideas from the writers here. So if anybody can come up with a good combo like this please let me know. Thanks in Advance! :)

2. jid

jid New Member

Is your race called "Deuvian" by the race itself or by other races? If you have more races than just one, some of them probably have a different word for calling them depending on their relationship with the Deuvians and/or how simplistic their language itself is. Deuvian is something I'd imagine a typical elf say but an orc might translate that to wingpeople or flying meat.

Another thing to consider is that Deuvian by itself doesn't conjure any kind of image in people's mind (I think?), while something that's derived from just "angel" or "eagle" or a word that sounds similar might just make the reader realize what kind of creature you're describing from the name alone. I think that most people would miss where Deuvian is derived from. I'm not saying you should change the name just because of my ramblings, the name sounds good to me. Just throwing some random stuff to think about.

3. Jayce

Jayce New Member

I think Jid makes some very good points.

If you like the name you've chosen, use it. Is it important that your readers understand how it was derived? If you would prefer your readers to get an image from the name rather than offering a lot of description then use a name that's derived from angel or eagle. (ex. the Angelus or Man-eagle)