1. Mike Coville

Mike Coville New Member

Affinity Publisher

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Mike Coville, Sep 25, 2019.

Serif is a software company in the UK making waves. They are challenging Adobe's supremacy in photo editing, digital design, and publishing. Their software is priced at $50, one time purchase, no subscription.

I am not affiliated with the company and do not get any kickback. I'm just a fan of what they are doing. Their website is https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Has anyone else used Affinity Publisher to format print or ebooks? Maybe we can discuss tricks we learn. I just started working with it and have fond it very powerful and easy to pick up the basics. I'm sure there are other features I haven't discovered yet.

2. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

I've beta-tested it. I love it. Great app! I recommend all of their apps.

Though I must admit that I have not yet used it much beyond small folding brochures. And I'm not sure it's particular well-suited, nor needed, for ebooks – at least, as long as we're speaking about novels.

Mike Coville likes this.
  3. Mike Coville

Mike Coville New Member

It is overkill for ebooks only. Formatting print is where it shines.

4. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

I agree. I just mention it, because, AFAIK, Adobe's InDesign now has functions geared towards ebooks, while Affinity Publisher has not.
    I can very much understand Affinity's decision to not include such functions. The philosophy of classical DTP and ebooks is too dissimilar – the former relying on a fixed paper and page, the latter being on multiple devices and multiple users doing whatever with the formatting. Producing ebooks is more similar to web design than print design, in a way.

Mike Coville likes this.