Tags:
  1. joemister1221

joemister1221 New Member

Names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by joemister1221, Aug 8, 2008.

First of all, I'm not quite sure if this is the right spot for this thread.

Secondly, I am having trouble naming my main antagonist. I am writing SciFi/Fantasy and the novel is set in a different world so, the names aren't going to be the type of names we see on earth. I usually take a couple of names and mix them together to make a new, unheard of name or change the spelling of a known name. What I need help with is, if you could give me names to mix up.

Physical Description: (not sure)

NOT NECESSARY TO READ:
    Background History Not Fully Planned:
    He used to belong to one country of two rivals. He lived happily there since he was a little boy. He learned their religion, language, art ect. But, that all changed when his wife become suddenly ill. As part of their religion, the country couldn't do anything about his dying wife. Soon, she died, leaving three young children in his care. But the man became consumed with denial, depression, anger...and he sought revenge. He fled to the countries rival where he started over again. Over years of loyalty as a deacon for the Archbishop, he became the King's chancellor, his top advisor, and most trusted men. The King's father had died leaving him, his oldest son, a 12 year old boy, to hold the crown. The man, seeking revenge, immediately cast a 'spell' over the young King, who grew to worship him and consult him on every move. Of course, the King was just a means to his revenge on his former country. He was a mere man. He needed the help of a higher power and the young King was easy to sway. When the Archbishop died, the King granted him the position. As his best friend and advisor, it was the least he could do. But, the boy grew older before the man could make his move and he slip the King a substance that would give him all control. But, as the King grew older, so did the Archbishop's children and he couldn't hide his secret much longer. His daughter ran from home and joined the rival country (she is one of the main characters). The Archbishop makes a plan with the King:
    To break the peace treaty which they hold with the rival country. They would have the upper hand: the element of surprise...and of course the central island which was recently discovered by the country and was owned by both countries as part of the treaty (secretly the natives sided with the Archbishop's country). The little King agreed and they bombed the coast of the offending country with a great armada. This started a series of wars which would take place over 6 planned books. The Archbishop later killing the King, leaving the country for the future with his son in charge, tries to kill his daughter and husband (the Main Character) and almost succeeds at taking over the rivals.
    To make it short, the Main Character, his daughter's husband was born (unknowingly) in the future and the Archbishop is responsible for his fathers death, his 'being-sent' to the past for safety as a war is unleashed over the last remaining future city ect.

Sorry, back to the name.

Please read:
    I'd like his name to symbolize: time, revenge, change, deceiving ect...

Any help would be appreciated!

2. rumplestiltzkin

rumplestiltzkin New Member

I'd suggest getting either a baby names book or going onto a website to find names to blend together. I do that a lot, too, and I've gotten a lot of success with www.namenerds.com. They have a lot of names on there, including sci-fi names, a random name generator, and Irish/Welsh names. Good luck!

3. That Guy From That Place

That Guy From That Place New Member

I suggest using a random name... it may not fit at first, but it will grow on you, readers, and of course, him.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Try watching the credits at the end of movies. I get a lot of name ideas, not so much from the cast, but from all those people behind the scenes: artists, camera crew, stunt performers, all of them.

5. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

You could also read up some myth and history. If your character resembles someone in history, name it after him. Myth will also work. Many of my characters are named after Arthurian Legends.

7. Jessicalove08

Jessicalove08 New Member

Mmmm..... try www.behindthename.com, it's a site for any kind of name.

8. Tatomi

Tatomi New Member

babynames.com has always been a big help for me. :)