1. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Publishing a Children's Story

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Lmc71775, Feb 6, 2010.

I have a question...or a few questions really about publishing a children's book with a subidized publishing company.

I just recieved news that a Pub. Co. wants to publish my story into a book, but I have to pay a one time flat fee (a low amount, but that's it) I would recieve 50% royalties from each retail selling book. They will market it on their website and Amazon too. (which is kinda cool, more publicity)

Anyway, I just emailed the editor with some questions now and am very eager to hear back. I figured while I wait for a response, I thought someone here would know.

Since it is a children's book their should be illustrations (I of course have none being that I am just a mediocre artist. Who will draw for my book? Do I get a say in the drawings?

I was just wondering if anyone here has done one and knows.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

What will the subsidy publisher do for you that you could not do for yourself by self-publishing?

A spot on the subsidy publisher's website and availability on Amazon.com isn't really going out of their way to market, and won't make much difference.

Is the publisher going to pay for an artist to complete your book? What quality will the artist be and will it enhance the book? Will the cover art at titlework be somewhat generic and uninspiring as often happens with subisdy publisers?

I am not a fan of self-publishing, but it is right for some folks. Everyone has a path that they view as right for them. I am even less of a fan of subsidy publishers, but again, each writer has his/her own vision.

Have you tried the traditional route?

What kind of sales are you expecting? Will it be available to order through traditional bookstores, as opposed to only online? How will your intended market come to know about the book? Have you looked at novels published by the subsidy publisher? What is the quality and pricing of their products? Have you independently contacted any of their authors to gauge their experience? Most importantly, what is in the contract--the language. What rights will you be giving the publisher even as you pay them to publish your children's book--and what possible future rights? And is there more than the up-front fee?

Generally speaking, subsidy publishers make their living off of the fees they charge authors to get their books published. They don't make money to support their business model off of the royalties from book sales.

I noted that you did not mention the subsidy publisher, so I could only answer in generalities.

Good luck, whatever direction you take.

Terry

3. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thanks Terry,

I haven't recieved word from the publisher yet, so I don't know alot of the questions you're asking--which are all good questions by the way. I am certainly not going to agree to anything til I know the full particulars.

What I know so far is if I go with this Pub co. the terms are that the pub. will provide sales and distribution support for the book on their website and on Amazon. They will also provide book layout and design, and ISBN number assignment along with the book price. In the contract the aurthor retains the copyright and is free at any point to set up an agreement with any other publishing co. Either party may terminate this agreement with 30 days notice.

They say the author will recieve 50% commission on each book sold on both sites. The commission is based on retail price. An editor will work with the author to smooth out the rough spots at not extra cost. They say nothing about illustrations for children's books though (which I am afraid I will have to pay extra for, I don't know yet)

The one-time fee is $299, which isn't too horribly bad...but what's the catch?

Like I said, I have yet to talk to someone about all my questions.

Thank you for your interest Terry, I appreciate that.

Oh, and I took a look at their bookstore and they look really nice with high quality illustrations. Most to all of the children's books start out at 9.99 and up.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

check them out at p&e before going any further...

to me, they sound like the typical subsidy press money vacuum...

and of course you'll have to pay extra for the artwork, since it's certainly not going to be done for free, is it?...

but why should you pay anything to have your writing turned into a book, when 'real' publishers won't charge you a single penny, even though they have to pay an illustrator to do the artwork?

besides, if the writing's not good enough for a paying publisher to take on, who's going to buy it?... you need to know that chances of your ever making back your investment are nil to none...

those companies tell everyone they troll for that they 'want to' publish their work... that's how they make their money... they'll take on anything at all, no matter how poorly written it is, because they don't make their money on selling the books, but only from what they milk the writers for...

read this, before going any further: http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pubwarn.htm

i mentor many aspiring children's writers, among all other writing breeds, so if you think your story is good enough for a picture book, i'll be glad to take a look at it and give you an honest opinion... and help you find an honest publisher who'll pay you, instead of v/v...

love and consoling hugs, maia

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Turn them down. If they want you to pay, its easier to do it all yourself and sell it as an e-book privately. You'll make more money that way.
    Here is a link for legitimate publishers from the Childrens Book Council. A non-profit organization that helps promote reading in Children. The publishers are all apparently legit, and ranges from small to large publications.
    But double check them with the preditors link Maia posted. Its best to be safe.

6. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thanks guys, I'll definitely check the links! Thanks for your help.

Well so far, as an update. I still haven't decided if this is a good idea or not.

The editor emailed me back with all the questions I had at that point and NO, I won't have to pay extra for anything at all...not the editing and not even the illustrations. Plus I have a say in the cover and the drawings.

But I am still leary about what would come of it if I do proceed. I mean how much would I really have to edit? It is a children's story (about 800 words) and I can't see it being too too much changing things.

If anyone could help me with any input at all, that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, all correspondence is via email, so I have everything in writing if something goes wrong.