1. starseed

starseed New Member

A question about review posting requirements..?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by starseed, May 25, 2009.

I've noticed that some people post a piece for review, and then later in the same thread, post the next part from their story in the same thread for review as well. Now, I am not putting you guys down that do this or anything, not at all. I was just wondering, the second piece DOES count as a separate piece for review, requiring that the person give two reviews in exchange, right?

I was just noticing people doing it and thought that it *could be* (like I said, not saying anyone was trying to do this just that it could be)a way to sneak past the critique giving requirements.

Just curious. :)

2. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

I don't think we're supposed to post different parts of the same story on different threads. I did that once, and the mods merged them.

On the same note, I've always thought that a different piece, even as part of the same story, means that you must meet the review requirements again. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it.

3. starseed

starseed New Member

I post different parts of the same story in different threads. Obviously I can only speak for myself but I find it confusing to navigate through a huge thread where there could be many different pieces being critiqued. Id rather have my pieces in separate threads.

4. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

The above quote is correct.
    If you post different parts of the same story in different threads moderation will take action. IE, locking (in the case of not complying with review room requirements) and merging threads.

And yes, it is required to post your two constructive critiques if you post a new story, but not if it is a new part of the original; like a new chapter, or rewrite.

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

This is correct. But I think you would probably do better if you were to do more reviews for others for them to come back and review your work again, or review new parts of your work.

People will do their best to find their way around the requirements and our moderators are doing the best they can to stop them. So fret not.

But like I have said, the more reviews you make, the more you are likely to get in return. If you are finding that you are making quite a lot of reviews and not getting the reviews in return, simply PM a member of the reviewer team and one of us will be more than happy to help you out with a review.

Torana
    Supporter/Reviewer

6. garmar69

Too true. I forgot to mention that. Thanks Torana. :)

To any who are interested, click on the link in my signature for site relevant information on the reviewing process.

7. starseed

starseed New Member

..... so you are saying I could do two critiques and then post my entire BOOK for review in one thread?? *confused* See this is why I was asking because that doesn't seem fair. My book is going on thirty chapters at the moment, that would be like WEEKS worth of review.. I'm supposed to be posting that all in ONE thread?? :eek: That would be a reaaaalllllllllllllllllly huge thread.

Just wanted to point out I'm not trying to get around the review requirements or anything, I love giving reviews and probably give more critiques than what's required. I'm more confused about the idea that we're supposed to post everything from one story in one thread. It would just get really confusing for me because different chapters of my book are like two different pieces of work, and keeping it all organized in one thread would be difficult for me.

8. garmar69

LOL! No, that's not what I was saying at all. I seriously doubt anyone would review a whole book and I'd say, but I'm not sure, that our staff would likely step in if such a situation came up. Ideally, you would post a chapter, or two, of your novel and use the reviews you garnered there to give you guidelines for weaknesses in the rest of your book.

Not to speak for moderation, but I do not think the purpose of the review workshop is to get a complete edit of your ms. It's there for writers to hone their own reviewing skills, thereby making it far more effective when editing your ms (manuscript). At least that's how I understand the process.

Hope that cleared things up. And please don't post your whole ms. :eek:

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'd pretty much guarantee that if you posted section after section after section, people would stop bothering to respond (in fact, it has happened before).

10. starseed

starseed New Member

Well okay.. I'm not meaning to be difficult.. it's just I was hoping this was a site where I could get it critiqued.. I do need help with every chapter but if that's not an acceptable thing to do here then I won't.. sorry. :\

Okay, I understand.

11. Cogito

Getting a critique is pretty useless unless you have a good handle on giving critiques. You need to understand the logic behind each suggestion, not apply them blindly. You learn to do that by going through the same thought processes yourself.

12. starseed

starseed New Member

Yes indeed, I find giving critiques VERY helpful. :) My only problem is I don't know much about what is "proper" grammar sometimes because I never really went to school (dropped out of high school halfway and never really did high level English or anything so my only schooling is just from reading other books)so when it comes to a more technical critique, I'm not so good at that. I am good at critiquing the way something makes me feel, what "sounds right", stuff like that. But I've found that other people reading my work and pointing out more technical errors has helped a lot. I'm learning a lot!

13. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

it's just I was hoping this was a site where I could get it critiqued... -starseed

Question for mods: Is there a forum here at Writingforums where starseed can request a novel swap? Or would that only cause more headaches? Starseed, if you can't do it here, I think the Nanowrimo boards sometimes do novel swaps, where you exchange novels and critique each other. I'd check there, if you're interested in that level of critiquing.

14. Cogito

No, we don't encourage that type of critiquing. It can work well, if a couple of like-minded writers get to know one another and develop tat level of trust, but it really is a one-on-one process.

Making a forum of that type tends to attract two undesirable elements:
    1. Professionals trying to sell editing/proofing services without openly declaring their commercial nature.
    2. Takers: writers looking for a free editing service, and then making unreasonable demands on the people they suck in. This is not hypothetical - we have had a real problem with people asking for "a little help" and then going stalker on the people who generously agree to take a look.

15. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

Thanks, Cogito. That makes a lot of sense, if being a bit scary--stalkers? o.o

16. Cogito

Oh, you have NO idea. One member had to close down email accounts and several instant message accounts, even after the stalker was banned from the site.

Always be careful who you are dealing with, and how much personal info you give out!

We do what we can to keep people safe, but there are limits as to how much we can do.

17. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Actually, The Next Big Writer website is like that, but you have to pay $3.33 to be a submitting member per month. To be a reviewer is free, but if you want to submit your work for critique (which you can post entire novels on) you have to pay your membership fee.

There is another one that I think is free called Urbis.com. There I think you can submit thing to be reviewed for free with the credits you earn for reviewing others. Also you can make friends and earn fans of your work. I've only ever read stuff on there, so I am not sure about the whole submitting part.

Edit: I just logged into my account on Urbis, and you can submit for free, but to see reviewer comments you have to unlock them with the credits you earn from reviewing other's work.

You can also make friends with people and then see if someone would be willing to read your novel. I did that for a friend of mine from a group that had nothing to do with writing, she's was a fellow jewelry maker.

Jenn

18. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

"One member had to close down email accounts and several instant message accounts, even after the stalker was banned from the site." -Cogito Wow. I've heard of trolls but that's wild. Thanks, bluebell80. Will definitely check out Urbis.com. :-D

19. starseed

starseed New Member

Thanks for the info! I don't know if I'd be trusting enough to give my whole novel in its entirety away for critique. I more just need help with random segments and passages, things like that.

20. OrdinaryJoe

OrdinaryJoe Active Member

Of course the easy way not to worry about meeting your requirements is to simply review whenever you log on. After reviewing other peoples writing, check on your own.