1. yokone

yokone Member

Given that

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by yokone, Dec 25, 2010.

Hi!!!

Can we use "given that" instead of "because" in every situation? or is there any special situation to use this word cluster?

Ex:

I am able to work given that the kids are old enough to stand on their own two feet.

Thanks

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's ok there [though needs a comma before it], but 'since' would work better...

i wouldn't use it all the time instead of 'because' since simplest is most usually best... and there's a shade of meaning to it that doesn't lend itself to all places where 'because' will...

i don't think 'given that' is much used in american english these days, though it may be in the british version...

3. yokone

yokone Member

Ok thanks alot...

Can it be good to use it while narrating something? I mean you are not the subject of the action, or you are not a figure in the action but you are narrating it... In this situation or in an academic paper, does it seem nice to use it?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it can be good wherever used, if used correctly... whether in narrative or dialog...

in an academic paper it's more important than ever to use it correctly... and that it seems 'nice' is not a good reason for doing so...

5. yokone

yokone Member

ok thank you :)