1. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Physical problem.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Solaris, Dec 18, 2008.

So, I've been feeling kind of off lately - and I can't seem to figure out what it is.
    It started a few days ago when I sudden got lightheaded, weak, hot-flashy and somewhat nauseated. At the same time my nose felt like it was going to run.
    I ate and it went away. But it came back later.
    So that's kind of been happening off and on.
    Then last night I got this weird frontal headache and was lightheaded and my nose felt like it was going to run. And when I woke up this morning I sneezed, and blood started gushing out.
    When I went into the bathroom I almost blacked out and felt a strong urge to vomit.
    I haven't had a nosebleed since I was a little kid.

I've looked up what it could be but everything seems to lack some of my symptoms. So I'm confused.
    My mom suggested a possible sinus infection. Before this happened I was getting a stuffy nose and mucus in my throat for a long while as if I was allergic to something suddenly.

Anybody else have any helpful suspicions or anything? o.o

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Disclaimer ~ I am not a doctor.

A sinus infection sounds like a probable cause. I get them quite often. Sinus trouble is that Fuentes family curse. Everything you mentioned as symptoms sounds lamentably familiar to me.

If it continues, go to the clinic!

3. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Alright, thanks for the response Wrey! :)
    If it is a sinus infection, it will be my first one.
    Yay lol.

4. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I pretty much suffer chronic sinus problems, you name it i have/had it. But never had the whole lightheaded, nauseated issue. So it would be odd it that was it.

Are you going to see a doctor today, tomorrow, it really would be a good idea!

Is there much stress in you life lately? Anything your eating you never really had before etc (maybe you might be allergic to something)

No idea myself, but id suggest you see someone.

5. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

No, there's absolutely no stress whatsoever in my life. It's frankly dull lol.
    But yeah, I'm not sure. I've never experienced allergies to food before.
    I can't think of anything I've been eating that's out of the ordinary.
    But it seemed like I might have been allergic to something for a while before this happened. I still can't understand to what though.
    I've been eating a lot of peanut butter? Aha.
    But the symptoms I had before like stuffed up nose and mucus in my throat that seemed like an allergic reaction had gone away. And then this just suddenly happened. -shrug-

I have no experience with allergies or sinus infections.

But yeah my mom wanted to come home right when I told her to take me to the doctor, but I didn't want to go. So she might take me tomorrow.

6. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

It its a build up of a few hours, chances are it may very well be sinus's (though theres a few different issues, nothing major reall. but i just got the impression is was very sudden (which i just didint conact wth sinus issues).

Stufed up nose, musuc in the throat pretty good signs of sinus build up, but if you have never had it before.... it would be odd.

Your body could just be a little run down, it is that time of year.

I had a sinus flare up a few days ago, i could squeze the bridge of my nose for about 5 seconds and have water/musuc run out of it for the whole time (over a 6 hour period)!

Has your throat been ichy/scratchy (same with inner ears etc?) usually other symptoms that can come with stupid sinus flare ups

7. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Well I've had the lightheaded, hot-flashy, weak, headache symtoms off and on for a few days. When my nose 'felt' like it was going to run.
    And then all of the sudden this morning it was gushing with blood.

But yeah, I've been getting a soar throat also off and on it seems.
    Last night when I got that headache my throat hurt.

But generally yeah, with the stuffed nose and mucus throat - I've never experienced that other than the onset of a cold. But since it never got worse we just thought it was allergies or something. And then it went away.
    And then this.

So I guess it's most likely a sinus infection apparently. I hope that's all it is lol.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

GET OUT OF HERE AND GO SEE A DOCTOR!

i'm a pretty good armchair doc, having worked in a hospital, run a doctor's office, had a father who ran a hospital and mom who was a 50-year+ registered nurse, plus having had and tended to 7 kids, so i can tell you with plenty of knowledge and experience that you NEED to see a DOCTOR and NOT ask questions on a writer's site!!!

so, don't let me see you here till you can report what a doctor has said your problems add up to...

love and motherly healing hugs, maia

9. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Ditto what maia said. You need to see a doctor immediately. Take care of yourself and I hope you get to feeling better soon. ~gar.

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Let's see...sinus infection, hypertension, leaking aneurism, diabetes, polyps, cancer, blood clot, meningitis...naw, I would just guess that this is a "sinus infection" and ignore the other possibilities.

Stop typing and go to the damn doctor!

11. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Erhhh. -hides-
    My mom said we'd just wait it out and see if it gets worse or better.
    So I haven't gone to the doctors office yet...
    Don't kill me!! o_o;

-waits for Maia's motherly wrath to be unleashed upon her- xD

Thank you for your guys' input though, I appreciate it.
    I know I need to simply go see a doctor - I guess I'm just stubborn. oO

12. mammamaia

and here it comes!!!

how old are you?

if you're not a child and you're old enough to go to the doctor's on your own, why do you have to wait for your mom to decide it's time to go?... no offense meant to your mother, but i don't think she's being very responsible... unless, that is, you're a hypochondriac and she doubts you're actually suffering all of those really serious symptoms...

13. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I'm nineteen lol.
    But yeah I don't know, I think I get it from her, and she's the type of person that wont go to the doctor unless she knows there's a serious problem.
    So I'm used to waiting to see if the symptoms don't go away, or get worse first.
    I'm not so much a hypochondriac, but I can get paranoid when it comes to 'what's wrong with me'.
    So she might think I'm overreacting - and I don't understand what the problem is so I don't know whether to worry or believe it isn't serious.
    So part of me wants to go to the doctor because I'm paranoid, and the part of me that is like her doesn't.

14. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

My best friend (Danny) and I went fishing a few years ago. He got a sudden headache, dizzy and nauseated. I had a suspicion. We were close to the launch ramp but he wanted us to make the long run up one of the river arms to get to the good fishing. I refused and insisted that we get off the water. There was a hospital close by and it took me less than fifteen minutes to get him into the ER. He had a bleeding aneurism in the center of his brain. The long ride in a boat up the river arm probably would have blown out the aneurism and he would have died instantly. Instead, he spent ten days in critical care in the hospital and survived.

Do what you want...but it is simply STUPID to ignore such symptoms.

15. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

:(
    My mom is the one that wants to wait...
    I just don't know how I should feel about it because I'm used to thinking in that way.
    I brought it up again and told her that you guys said we should just go to the doctor but she still insists that we wait and see since I feel fine now.

16. lessa

lessa New Member

get to a dr. immediately if not sooner.
    you could be bleeding into your brain which is causing the nausea and light headedness.
    it is extremely serious and we want you around for a few years more at least.

I rarely go against mother's advice but this time I will make an exception.
    She is wrong to wait.
    if it is an infection it will die away and come back worse.
    go to a dr.

17. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Dude make an appointment and just go

You don't have to tell her where you're going, make something up...

I know how you feel though, my Mum's the same, hell, once my whole hands and feet turned blue and it still took me like, fifteen minutes to persuade her to drive me to the hospital ... I ended up having raynaud's syndrome which is a circulatory disorder

lol.

18. lessa

lessa New Member

mothers do not make good drs. all the time.
    I was 13 and broke my arm. went home and my mom
    told me to go out and play and forget about it.
    Dr. set it the next day.
    I was 19 finally she agreed to take me to the dr.
    was sent to hospital in an ambulance for massive blood transfusions.
    If she had waited another day I would have bled to death.
    In her defence she was raised during the depression where drs. were
    the very last person you called.
    But with drs around every corner take advantage of that and go see one now.

19. mammamaia

look, either GO RIGHT NOW, or stop posting, so we won't have to keep worrying about you and repeating all the reasons why it's really STUPID to NOT go, ok?

20. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

e.e
    Sorry...
    I'll stop posting after this then and keep it to myself next time. Since being yelled at and feeling like an idiot is stressing me out more than the stupid nose bleed did in the first place.
    Ultimately it isn't up to me whether I go to the doctor. It's her car. And she thinks it's just a sinus problem, and she's probably right.
    I just made the topic because I was curious if anyone else had experiences with it and could connect it to that.
    The symptoms weren't as severe as they sound, they were just somewhat new to me.

I didn't realize I was going to get backed into a corner when there's nothing I can do about it unless my mom takes me or lets me take her car.

But now people are just irritated with me so I guess this discussion is over that I wish I hadn't started in the first place.

I apologize. :/

21. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Solaris, no need to apoloqize. While I do think you should see the doctor, I understand why you didn't. We're just worried about you.

22. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't you DARE apologize!

You were sufficiently concerned about your symptoms to write about them and ask a community of strangers for advice. That proves that you are far from satisfied with what your mother is doing about the situation.

Your mother is too close to the issue to evaluate it objectively, besides lacking the training and diagnostic equipment available to a medical professional.

If you don't feel you can go to the doctor against your mother's wishes, at least you can call the ER and ask their opinion as to whether the symptoms are serious enough that you should go in.

We aren't trying to browbeat you. We are trying to help.

23. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Sol, have you expressed to your mom that you were getting more concerned about this? If so, what'd she say? (sounds like a survery *shrug*)

Or do you have friends or parent's of friends that are nurses? Because a call to one of them could help. There are PLENTY of ways to get around mothers. lol

24. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Cog:
    I know you guys are trying to help, it's just that some posts were making me feel intimidated and stupid, or as if I had done something wrong so I should apologize.
    It seemed like I was angering people and I didn't want that.

That is good advice! I never really thought of that option. I can get paranoid though, and my mom's instincts are pretty much always spot on. I've felt perfectly fine for almost 48 hours now.
    But if the symptoms come back I'll definitely make a call.

Emily:
    Actually, there is no way to get around my mother LOL.

And I said I wasn't going to post again. But. Yeah. o.o;

25. lessa

lessa New Member

We are a strange mixture here but we are in a way family.
    Some of us are parents, grandparents just concerned brothers and sisters.
    We give our advice and pat ourselves on the back when it is taken.
    But oh horrors when it isn't taken immediately.
    Dom is in China and will tell me he has a cold, headache, sore knees.
    I tell him what to do and he sometimes does more often he doesn't.
    When someone isn't close enough it is hard to get them to take the advice.
    Hard to browbeat over the internet.
    So just keep in mind that we give you advice but that is all it is.
    You have to do what you think is best for you.
    That being said if it does get worse or comes back call emerg or a clinic and
    get medical professional advice.
    Please.
    luv and hugs