1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Do diplomats carry weapons?

Discussion in 'Research' started by BillyxRansom, Jun 29, 2008.

If I am understanding correctly, the main objective of a diplomat's mission is to try to get the representatives of a country or area to cooperate with the country of origin that the diplomat comes from, or represents. First, tell me if I'm off base by a little or a lot.

Then, if someone could, please tell me if a diplomat is assigned a weapon to carry. Or do they go unarmed as a civilian?

Thanks in advance.

2. InkDancer

InkDancer New Member

What era are we talking about, and what setting? In modern times in the US, I would doubt there would be a lot of weaponry. Abroad, especially in an area of unrest, that might not be the case. Also, a diplomat's bodyguards would be more likely to bear the weaponry than the diplomat himself. (Or herself.)

In the past, though, it would likely depend on the culture. Giving up weapons before a negotiation could be an important plot point.

3. BillyxRansom

Distant future, in what is by this point the former USA. Thanks for your input, very helpful. :)

4. InkDancer

InkDancer New Member

Distant future, well, you could go any direction you want with that! Just keep it consistent and don't ignore the issue, and you can't go wrong.

5. BillyxRansom

Thanks!

6. WAN73D

WAN73D New Member

It sounds like you're talking more about an ambassador than a diplomat. However, "diplomat" is a term that can be used very loosely, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. In most cases, I'd say it would be extremely rare for either one to carry a weapon. Weapons tend to carry a message of hostility.

7. BillyxRansom

Well the weapon(s) would (initially) be used for self defense. Not so much as an attack on anyone. Not initially, anyway.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

so, you're talking about diplomats from other places, when in the us?... or did you mean us diplomats, when in other parts of the world?

in any case, the question is moot, since you're the one creating this future world, thus can set any rules you want, that work with your plot... in today's world, i doubt any actual diplomats in the us would be 'carrying' but if they did, they'd most likely have to have a permit, like anyone else, though diplomatic immunity might preclude that... to be sure, you'd have to check with the state dept.... same goes for us diplomats abroad...

9. BillyxRansom

Yeah, definitely. I read that they have to have things like a permit, and it has to be in very specific situations. Thanks so much.

10. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

If you stated that he had a CCW permit, I think you'd get away with it. If you story is set in a hostile future, you could say that the current global conditions had lead to the requirement for dipomats to carry weapons for defensive use.

11. Ungood

Ungood New Member

diplomats can carry/own weapons for personal protection. IE: Small hand gun, etc. They can not flaunt weapons or carry weapons that are illegal in an area. IE: No bazookas.

They are also allowed armed bodyguards, normally military solders from their "home" country. if the situation demands it.

Embassy are also protected by armed guards and gun/weapons in a diplomats car are allowed as well.

It depends again on the situation and host country.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

only if they have a carry permit...

i doubt armed military personnel in uniform acting as bodyguards would be allowed in the us or other western countries... diplomats in the us are guarded by people in civilian clothing who may or may not be members of their nation's military...

they are also often protected by local police who are assigned to guard embassies that are likely to be the targets of attack...