1. Sphyre

Sphyre New Member

I should be working but...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sphyre, Nov 2, 2013.

I'm new! Obviously! Hi!

I just found these forums (or maybe not, maybe I've seen them before and forgotten. But I will get to that!) To be honest I probably won't be around much because I have a memory the size of a gnat when it comes to things like this (see? I got to it) But that doesn't mean I won't occasionally drop in.

I'm a published writer - horror stuff primarily. I have written three novels but all three are still in the rough draft stage. I'm in the process of transcribing one of them from its home in a paper notebook to a more digital format but I don't anticipate being prepared to shop any of it around for months. By which time I hope to be rewriting my first attempted novel or writing the sequel to either of the other two. All three are genre fiction - one is high fantasy I suppose, one is vaguely "urban fantasy in a rural area," and the other is a mash of horror and urban fantasy and high fantasy. I probably should consider a more concise way of describing those last two.

I have also edited in the past and am doing so again soon. And freelance for a living.

I probably should start more of these paragraphs with something other than "I" but I didn't feel like impressing you would be possible so I went in the other direction entirely. ;)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Sphyre, and welcome to the forum! Please read the rules, poke around a bit, and have fun!

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. "Months" sounds optimistic. I've been working on my rough draft for two years now. :p

4. Sphyre

Sphyre New Member

Well to be fair I have been putting all of these off for most of my life. I was first published almost seven years ago and have been dragging my feet on getting enough words down to constitute a novel. Before that even I would start then run away before I could go far enough to consider a completed manuscript a real possibility. Of the three finished drafts one has been an idea in my head for nearly thirteen years -in some form- and another for about ten. Though I guess it was more like eight and a half when I sat down to write it initially. (I finished it in the spring of 2012 but it is beyond bad. I had no idea how to structure this sort of writing) It's only the most recent, which I think is the most marketable of the three, that I got to about six months after it's initial conception. But I found I really enjoyed writing short stories and novellas and vignettes. That COULD be because they're satisfying so much sooner but it could also be because I am giving myself an excuse not to try and fail. Or it could be both, which is the answer I am sort of leaning toward ;)

All of that is to say that I don't think I am exactly moving at a lightening pace on this front, it's been an ordeal.