1. Deven

Deven New Member

Cartoony Raccoony Voice Actor, Accidental Script Writer.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Deven, Jan 1, 2017.

Howdy! Some here may have heard my voice before. What a nice-looking place you've got! It's by an old happenstance that I find myself here, as while I greatly admire the craft, I've spent most of my life both despising and fearing the creative writing process. Things recently changed when I accidentally found a deep sense of kinship with one particular character who compels me to keep writing.

[​IMG]
    Meet "Rocky". Or don't. He can be a bit of a jerk.

5 years ago, I reluctantly agreed to voice a comic relief, one-off antagonist in a friend's animated webseries, with the condition that I be given total creative control over my written material and performance. With each unplanned subsequent appearance, I went from slightly rewriting some of my lines to eventually writing ALL of my own lines and scenes! Nothing had ever felt so liberating. By the time the series concluded, my guest villain had become the centerpiece of his own emotionally driven subplot. To my surprise, the audience really connected with the arc I ended up throwing together and I seemingly avoided leaning on any "Mary Sue" tropes along the way. Thanks to my comfort with this one character and his many flaws, for the first time ever, I felt good about my own written work.

I'm now facing my greatest challenge: Presenting my former guest villain as the central protagonist in his own story and proving I'm actually capable of writing and developing other characters, too!

I might be dropping by every now and then for study and insight as I figure out if I can competently pull off the first 3-act plot I'll have attempted since grade school.

A man called Valance likes this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum! :)
    Yours sounds like a fun project. I wish you luck! Is it going to be a graphic novel or...?

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

A man called Valance likes this.