1. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi

Insomnia. Gah!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Domoviye, Sep 11, 2007.

I've had insomnia for the last week. This is getting ridiculous.
    I think I need a new pillow. The one I have right now is pretty puny, and I'm pretty sure its throwing my neck right out of whack.
    I just hope I get up on time tomorrow. I slept in today (for a whole 6 hours of sleep after I finally got to sleep at 4am) and wasn't able to go to a physical I have to get. So now I have to go on Thursday instead.
    And I have class in the morning.
    Gah!

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

owww, sounds fun chick. i hate it when you cannot sleep, it seems to make everything seem worse. try some tablets or something if you are really desperate, they might help. :)
    Heather

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

I don't have any sleeping aids. Although I have used pills in the past. And I can't afford to buy any pills until Thursday if I managed to find some I did trust.
    I don't even have any tea or hot chocolate for a hot drink. And I'm not about to drink just hot water. I think I'll scrape up what money I have tomorrow and buy some tea. That should help a little at least.
    For now I'll suffer and let my two alarm clocks wake me up in the morning. I only have two classes tomorrow so its not too bad.
    Thanks for the support.

4. Heather Louise

i am sorry to hear that money is that bad at the moment, it must be hard. i hope you can get a solution to your problem soon though, sleep always helps i tihnk. good luck with it :)
    Heather

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Oh yeah I have a solution. Wonderful wonderful parents. They're giving me 200 this Thursday. Next month on the 10th I'll get my first paycheque for 5000rmb (that's sounds a lot better than saying $600US).
    But I'm not starving. I just have no money for non-essentials. That's one reason I'm glad I'm finally in my own place with a fridge. I can buy cheap stuff from the grocery store and throw it in the fridge, rather then going to restaurants.
    Now if I had a stove, or slow cooker, I'd be able to eat like a king for only a few dollars more. But beggars can't be choosers.
    Cheers.

6. Heather Louise

hahaa, i am glad you have got money and a flat now. :) and you could save up for an oven 'cos it'll really help. or even getting a microwave or summat.
    Heather

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Indeed. Or start a fire in the middle of your room, perhaps...

8. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

I got the microwave, fortunately, cold buns and noodles would really really suck. But you can't do much actual cooking with just a microwave and a few cheap dishes.

Banzai, I think they might frown over the fire. It's already hot enough in Nanjing, and having a fire would just make this place hotter. Not a good thing.
    Now if it was winter then the fire would be a good idea. But I have to wait three more months for that.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A toaster oven and a microwave both draw about the same amount of power. If you can run one, you can run the other (but don't try both at once on the same circuit!). It still doesn't substitute for a stovetop, but it helps.

10. Raven

Raven Banned

Insominia is something I suffer with. I sleep very little and then after about 5 - 7 days I can't stay awake for a day.

My 6 year old sun Sebastian also suffers with Insomnia too, he wont sleep until 2 am and he's up like clock work at 6am. for a 6 year old thats pretty strange. But unlike me it doesn't effect him after 7 days.

11. Cogito

Sounds like you're ready to deal with an infant in the house, then. Sleep is the first thing to go out the window.

12. Raven

Raven Banned

lol. To be fair he's a quiet little chap like Serenity. Sebastian was the loud one. Sheeesh his lungs I'm sure could've woke the dead. Thank christ he's past that stage.

13. Cogito

At least until he hits the teen years. :)

14. Banzai

Nah, teenage boys are sullen, moody and quiet. It's the girls you have to watch out for :p

15. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

WOOT!
    3 hours of sleep. Awesome.

Cogito, as soon as I get cash (one month) I'm getting a toaster oven, and possibly a convention microwave. And I'll be careful to only have one plugged in at a time.

Hulls, your kid sleeps that little. He's definitely going to be a night owl later in life.

Cheers

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Dom congrats on the 3 hours sleep :p

I know what it is like to get no sleep. I normally get anywhere from 1 to 6 hours sleep a night if I am lucky that is.

Last year I spent a whole month without any sleep at all. This year the worst for me has been two weeks without sleep. Luckily for me it is hard to tell when I am not sleeping well until I have been without sleep for a week to two weeks.

I do hope that things get better for you and just be careful with pills to help you sleep. Some people get dependant on them and that can be damaging to your health. I was placed on sleeping tablets a few years ago due to severe back injuries from s horse riding incident and became addicted to them among some painkillers and anti inflamatory. It took me a while to realise and now I refuse to take medication full stop.

I don't care what people think of me for that, but it is something that can happen and does happen all the time. So just be careful when using pills to help you sleep. If you do use them don't use them regularly....

Anyways hope things get better for you and glad to hear that you now have your own place and a fridge to put food into.

Also try to avoid high energy foods in the afternoons and anything with caffiene.

<Sleep is overrated by the way :p:p>

17. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

I only take pills occasionally because I know how addictive most can be, so I have total respect that you were able to kick the habit. Thats why if I do take sleeping pills its the mildest kind after a month of virtually no sleep, and then I never take them for more then a week.
    And I did sleep last night. At least 8 hours of deep sleep, and another hour of dozing. So I'm getting better. Plus I bought a nice pillow, so once its been washed that should help ease the neck pain.

I usually say sleep is for the weak. But I'll admit I'm weak in that regard.

18. Banzai

I like sleep. I only got about an hour last night :( Woe (and tired) is me!

19. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Ouch, that has to hurt.

20. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I need at least 6 hours of sleep to function. If I get less I become a total bitch.(even more so anyways hahaha) If you can't get to sleep Domo try taking a shot of whiskey...although whiskey or any liquor probably would cost lotsa money.....try covering your head with your pillow. It will block out all noise and all light....and the lack of air will make any grown man sleepy lol jk. But seriously try the pillow trick because it works for me. Wishing you lots of sleep
    ww

21. Torana

HAH I have been getting tons of sleep lately :p:p I think that may be because my bed isn;t so cold now lol :p

But I had like more than 6 hours sleep lastnight and then night before as well. I feel on top of the world.

Glad that you got some sleep Domoviye. It is great to hear.

22. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Well,I have only one insomniac experience to share. That creepy Sunday night, I feel into bed at 10 pm...and slept at around 3 am. All because I woek up at 12 pm earlier :p I cried all night. Ack, I'm a kid. Other than that, I stay awake all night long and sleep around 4-5 am in the morning. I liek it, but my mother scolds me ANGRILY on that. Good luck Domoviye - I'm sure you'll get your sleep back soon.

23. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

My Mom used to complain about my sleep pattern as well. It got to the point sometimes, she'd wake up (being a morning person) just as I went to bed at 3am. Unfortunately since it's her house, she woke me up nice and early, 9 or 10am, until I started going to bed at a more reasonable hour.
    Cheers

24. Torana

I like not sleeping though. I get an hour or two a night normally. But in that time I get a lot done so it has its perks.

Sleep is overrated you know. lol I love saying that :p

25. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

How do you function?
    That should be biologically impossible.