1. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Email Export Help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SonnehLee, Sep 30, 2010.

Okay, I'm trying to use a new email program so that I don't have to go through the frustration that has turned into Hotmail.com. (Anyone else have these problems?)

The thing is my contact book (which is quite extensive) and all emails newer than August of 09 aren't showing up... at all.

Am I missing something?

Update: All of my emails have loaded into the program (Mozilla Thunderbird), but still no address book.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can't help you, sorry to say... but i'm curious about why you think hotmail is a problem... i've been using it for over a decade and haven't had any major complaints...

3. SonnehLee

My hotmail has turned into a glitchy mess. The most frustrating problem (and the only real reason I moved), is its tendency to jump to the bottom of the page when I try to click on an email, thus opening a completely different email than I'd like.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

check your email settings... they may have changed during an upgrade...

5. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Hotmail works fine for me, although it's not the best email provider. As for your issue, I have no idea how to help. :p Have you looked through FAQs for a solution, or email provider's forums? Something like that is probably easily fixed.

6. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

How did you export your contact list from hotmail initially?
    Did you go through Contacts > Manage > Export?

Sometimes hotmail will remember addresses you frequently send to even though you've never officially added them to the contact list. If you've never added them officially, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't show up in the list after it's been exported to your PC.

7. SonnehLee

Okay, I did the export thing, and it had my contact list. It put them all into an Excel spreadsheet. Then, I go to import it, and it won't let me import them from a spreadsheet.

Arrrgh.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What are the Mozilla Thunderbird import options?

Were you accessing hotmail directly through your web browser, or were you using an email client for that as well?

9. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Make a quick dummy contact list in Thunderbird (maybe 1 or 2 contacts), then export it to your PC. I believe Thunderbird uses CSV.
    Open up the CSV file and check out the format. You might be able to copy/paste your contact info from the spreadsheet file into this csv file, make sure it's the proper format, then save it. You should then be able to import this file into Thunderbird, so long as it matches the format of the original CSV.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

An Excel spreadsheet can be export as a CSV (comma separated values) file; just make sure both hotmail and Thunderbird agree on the columns that are being transferred.

11. SonnehLee

Okay, I found the CSV file thing, and I thought I had it imported... but... all the contact last names were there as nicknames and there were no email addresses. At all. :mad::(:confused: