1. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Make-up: a debate

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VM80, Aug 16, 2011.

An interesting discussion I found myself in recently re. make-up went, in a nutshell, something like:

Person A:

Key thought No. 1: "If men were being honest, they'd admit they prefer the full-make-up look, all of the time."
    Key thought No. 2: "I could never leave the house without make-up. Most women don't/physically couldn't/wouldn't."

Person B - me:

Reponse to Point 1: "I think that's a generalisation... etc etc."
    Reponse to Point 2: "I like to use make-up when I feel like it. I have no problems leaving the house without it. Guys do it all the time... ;) If you can't, that's more of a psychological/conditioning type-deal etc.

Any thoughts, guys & girls?

2. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I don't. Women look far better when they play to their strengths: use make-up to emphasise their favourite features and to conceal or downplay those that perhaps don't look so good. Smearing your face with make-up and 'beauty' products make most women look ridiculous, in my opinion.

3. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

I will certainly say, a woman is beautiful with or without makeup. However, makeup does make woman more attractive than what they are. Makeup are like clothes. They are the ultimately shape shifters of disguise. Makeup can enhance a woman's natural beauty, just like clothes give woman more shape to their bodies or enhance their body shape.

I will say I find woman with our without makeup attractive. But woman with makeup will be more attractive to me, imo, when they have makeup. With the right makeup she can make her eyes pop out and stare at you grasping your soul. With the right makeup she can make her skin glow. Makeup should be enhancing her natural beauty and embracing her natural beauty.

And when you enhance your natural beauty, you're more attractive.

4. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "full make-up." Are we talking primer, foundation, concealer, powder, blush, liner, mascara, lip-stick ect?

Personally, even if I am wearing "full make-up" I prefer to look as if it is as natural as possible. I hate that caked-on look, where you can't see someones skin beneath the layers of goo. You remember those old commercials..."Maybe she's born with it, Maybe it's Mabelleine?"
    It all depends on how well done the job is, I guess.
    The hubster says he likes both as long as I don't wear too much on my eyes, or too dark a color on my lips. He also doesn't like lip-stuff that feels sticky when he kisses me.

He has NEVER said, "Aren't you going to put on make-up?"

5. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

I dislike the inherent "fakeness" of makeup. I've never fully understood why women would go out of their way to wear it every day, simply because seeing them for just one moment without their makeup causes the illusion to be instantly shattered. Ever after that it's like watching a "magic" trick when I'm already clued in on the technique of the illusion. It's not really them.

My girlfriend does not wear it, and for that I will remain thankful.

1 person likes this.
  6. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Amen. Make-up should enchance a woman's beauty, not be the cause of it.

And as for leaving the house without it, I'd say it depends on the situation. If you want to look your best, use make-up. But if you are just running to the store, picking up the mail and stuff like that (as in ordinary day-stuff), don't bother.

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Key thought no.1: I'm not male so obviously I don't know, but I'd like to hope not. Most of the men I know don't like the full make up look though. They just like a bit of it to enhance their features making them generally what they consider more attractive.

Key thought no.2: I don't wear make up. I'm just not a make up kind of person. And I think that people should like me however I look, and not just because I've put some make up on. However, a lot of women can be obsessed with make up in one way or another. People who cake themselves in foundation and stuff is just... it's just not necessary. I don't get how people can obsess over how they look so much, but I guess that's to do with pressures of society blah blah.

I much prefer the natural beauty of everyone, without make up.

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I haven't worn makeup in so long I've forgotten how to put it on :rolleyes: But that's only because I haven't really had occasion for it (running a forklift or hauling pallets isn't exactly a glam job). But I look at pictures of me with and without and I definitely look better with. It allows you to enhance the good points and downplay the not-so-good. But masks are definitely not good looking.

9. VM80

Thank you. I think make-up can be a bit of a 'mask', for some, to hide behind. But I'm not against it. As with anything, it's a choice.

Make-up can be an enhancement, yes. It hides 'flaws'.

But playing devil's advocate: why should women be under this pressure cooker to 'make themselves more attractive' or look 'perfect at all times' (debatable), when men aren't?

Thanks for your insights btw, and everyone else who posted so far.

Interesting stuff.

10. WriterDude

How is wearing make-up to look good any different than getting expensive clothes or an expensive haircut to look good?

11. art

art Contributor Contributor

Who said they aren't? Let's take the example of dear old Shane Warne..

Shane B.H

[​IMG]

Shane A.H

[​IMG]

12. VM80

She wants a bit of a cooler version of Hugh Grant... or so I read. Not that I'm a reader of gossip mags, as a rule. ;)

Point taken. Still, though... not necessarily a good thing, imo.

13. art

art Contributor Contributor

Quite appalling(ly hilarious)!

He would have been better off taking a stanley knife to his cheek and working on his shoulder development.

Oh well, I'm sure, in time, Liz will realise that what she thinks she wants is not what she actually wants.

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I tend to date women that wear little or not make-up and look great without it. I don't like a lot of make-up at all.

15. shadowwalker

This. Everyone will choose various methods to look good, or to look better. And men are wearing earrings and jewelry, and some are starting to wear makeup as well.

16. VM80

^ Yep much the same, I guess.

It's all good, so long as one doesn't become a slave to it. The girl I was speaking to seemed to be standing on the edge of that particular cliff...

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if men don't 'pretty up' their faces with elaborate make-up, why should women?

i find the whole issue of trying to look different than how one does naturally a perfect example of humankind's collective idiocy... no other species i know of goes to such lengths to artificially enhance its physical appearance to attract a mate...

and those species that do 'show off' in mating rituals [the males, not females!] are endowed by nature with the equipment, they don't buy it and apply it...

also, in many cultures, male humans also do the painting and primping... men even wore elaborate wigs and make-up not all that long ago, in the uppermost levels of civilization...

it's a shame so much time, energy and money has to be wasted on denying what one is and hiding one's real self from view... i find it morally repugnant, too, even though i used to be one of the idiots myself... thankfully, i finally wised up 16 years ago... if anyone doesn't like what i look like naturally, they can just go look at someone else!

18. WriterDude

Those men are usually dating other men. :D

Speaking seriously, men get nice haircuts, nice clothes and all that to look good. I don't wear make-up, but I do put on a little bit of men's perfume if I go on a date. ;)

19. VM80

^ Yes, on second thought I realised it's not just the women at all... then or now.

I don't think it's a moral issue as such, though. Just food for thought.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

20. shadowwalker

I don't think wearing makeup is hiding my real self at all, any more than wearing clothes is, or cutting my hair a certain way.

21. shadowwalker

Um, not really. ;)

22. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Make-up is, I think, pointless. There is no need for it.

1 person likes this.
  23. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I think women with or without makeup can look equally pretty. I love to get dolled up and go crazy when I go out sometimes (like green eyeliner or bright red lips --but not both at the same time, lol ;) ), other times I will go without makeup, and most times a quick concealer and brush of mascara will do.

I like to use makeup to feel feminine or pretty. It can sometimes make me feel more safe, kind of like a thin mask or protective layer of clothing. I also like the fun it provides. It is fun on special occasions to pile on so much makeup that you don't even recognize yourself. And like it or not, wearing makeup for women is a way of showing that you care about how you look and you care about those who you spend your time around --just like showering every day and combing your hair.

Makeup can make a woman look gorgeous, but it shouldn't be a requirement. For me, it isn't. Makeup shouldn't be as influential as it is, in my opinion... I refuse to get to the point where I cant leave the house with it. Girls who wear makeup to the gym are just sad, for example. If you cant be attracted to someone without makeup, then you shouldn't be with them...

Confidence is sexier than any eyeshadow.

It has been interesting to read others' opinions. :)

24. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

What I learned from my experience with women is that make up hide flaws bt doesn't enhance beauty. A woman who looks perfect without make up is very rare, on the other side sleeping with somebody who looks ehm...different the day after could be an unexpected surprise.

25. VM80

Good points.

Although I'm not all PC and don't think looks don't matter, you won't look the same all your life... unless you have spectacularly great genes. ;) So if that kind of physical attraction is all you have going for you, well...