1. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

What is your Major?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HellOnEarth, Jan 6, 2007.

What do you intend to become?

Why?

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Writer/Actor.

Why?

Well gee, I'm posting at a writing forum...I like to write...I write lots of things...and I'm a writer...

...no, I just can't possibly imagine why I'd want writing as a degree.

3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I intend on becoming RICH!

Well actually I intend on becoming useful..

A psychologist or a councellor perhaps.

Who knows I'm too young to be sure.

4. Lily

Lily New Member

I was a pre-nursing major up until a month ago, after applying to the nursing program and getting accepted...I changed my mind. Call me crazy, but I finally realized that nursing isn't my call. I hadn't written anything worth reading in years, and I knew I'd forgotten my true passion. So now I am writing again, going back and doing writing classes, hoping that maybe eventually things will turn out. I'm also debating whether to be a music major or an art major, since those are my other two loves.
    College is way to expensive to waste two years on a science major and then change your mind...but that's what I did. I got out of it before I fully committed.

5. Robert

Robert Banned

Good luck, Lily.

6. Fiesty Kel

Fiesty Kel New Member

I majored in psychology and philosophy and minored in sociology and social work. I worked as a counsellor for many years, went on maternity leave and had my son, and changed my mind.

Did some tourism units, still wasn't happy, and so am beginning a masters of literary studies/professional writing this year.

Eventually, I will decide what I want to be when I grow up. I am only 29!!! :lol:

7. Lily

Lily New Member

I'd love to do social work, I think that would be an amazing career. Could you tell me more about it fiesty kel?

8. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Librarian; Six years of school to make 40k a year...
    It's the one job I wont commit suicide after working it for a month...oddly I enjoy wearing ties...

9. Fiesty Kel

Fiesty Kel New Member

Sure. Im not sure where you are from, but can tell you how it was for me in Vic, Australia. I worked in a high security domestic violence refuge as a case worker, and as a child support worker. So, we basically assisted women and children fleeing violence to get independent housing, court orders, counselling, finances in order/income support etc.

I also worked as a counselling supervisor, supervising 150 telephone counsellors at a call center for one of Australias biggest help lines. That involved recruitment, training, personal development, feedback and assessment etc ongoing for the counsellors as well as creating reports and paperwork for head office.

The jobs themselves were fantastic, I loved being a child support worker - as well as the awful bits, it was my job to bring some fun back into the kids lives, so I would often get paid to take kids to movies, camps, outings etc. And to see them smile again and start to feel at ease and safe, big pay off.

I loved the helpline work, because I believed passionately in it as a service. It was badly underfunded, but the staff that were there were all passionate and we all made it work and put in extra to ensure it did, it was good to be part of that sort of team.

The main problems aside from the obvious of not emotionally/mentally taking home work), revolved for me around the lack of funding for many social work services here. It meant that the fundamental things were skimped on - for eg. Not being able to offer a decent wage to a management position, so no one with the decent quals and experience was attracted to the job and instead they would end up with half arsed, underqualified and under experienced power hungry management, who did not have the 'humanistic' component.

I left the refuge after a man hating feminist, power tripped her way to the top at a low wage, just to get the job... she was a bully - not so much me, but co workers, although she hated that I had a uni degree and she a TAFE qual. For some reason that did her head in and she was always undermining me and making my job difficult, so I moved on.

It bothers me that I let that sort of stuff get in the way of the desire to help people, but it did. It depends on the pay offs you want from a job, money and a good workplace are not up there, but self satisfaction and the feeling of truly making a difference in some peoples lives, is.

When I had a family, I also rethought the safety aspects of some jobs in that field (eg child protection where someone might bail me up in my small town and says "you take my kid, Ill take yours.." or that I'm seen in court with a victim of DV and the perp recognises me and comes after me, or that one of the victims with a mental illness takes a shine to stalking me...) None of that bothered me when I was in it alone so to speak, but after I married and had a son, it was a whole new ballgame.

Sorry for the essay, still got some passion in there for it!

10. Lily

Lily New Member

Thanks! I'm so glad you shared that with me. I've always had a concern and real passion for helping victims of abuse, etc. It's a bummer that there wasn't enough funding... So the downsides are very real. But thanks!

11. Axis

Axis New Member

I did a BA (Honours) in Literature and Creative Writing At Curtin University in WA. When I was doing the course I'd tell people what I was doing and they'd ask, "What will that make you?"

I'd say, "More intelligent".

12. Resident Mexican

Resident Mexican New Member

lol, get this:

Computer Programming. OoO

13. Wader Go

Wader Go New Member

I just wanna be a novelist. Nothing fancy...

...did I mention that I want to be a billionaire novelist? I'm pretty sure I did.

14. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

6 years and you're only making that much? Oh well, as long as you're happy. I'm making over 40K a year right now and it didn't require any schooling.

As far as what I plan on making a career in...well I'd like it to be either writing, playing in a band or bowling, but that takes a lot of hard work. With what I'm doing right now (oil-field work) all I have to do is show up to work for the next 25 years and I'll be set for retirement.

But that's the nice thing about writing is I'll always be able to pursue it.

15. Arktos

Arktos New Member

Journalism.

I'm in my fourth year at college. I applied to CNN, BBC, and Al-Jazeera. The Malaysian news channels are ironically insignificant.

16. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I'm majoring in Technology Management.

I have no idea what I want to do with my degree.