1. Ged

Ged New Member

A place to backup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ged, Dec 5, 2009.

Do you know any trustworthy sites where I can put stuff I work on (writings, I mean), so that they'll be there when I need them?

My PC doesn't have a CD/DVD writer, so I have to find other backup methods. Especially since I have to reinstall Windows once every three months or so.

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

You could email them to yourself.

3. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Are you in college? Many colleges have a very good safeguard storage system that automatically holds and protects all your work you save.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Pin Drive, laddie.

a.k.a thumb drive, flash drive, pocket drive, solid state mini.

When my PC took a dump it was my savior.

[​IMG]

Rob's advice of e-mailing the items to yourself and saving the e-mails is also excellent advice. The pin drive is for when you may not have access to the internet and need yer' stuff.

5. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

My laptop has dvd / cd writings, but it has very little memory with all of my papers, songs, and other media on it. I have a pin drive as well, and when I dont want to bother with it I use my gmail account to transfer files. Both are very good methods, but if you have a LOT of files (like I do), look into an external hard drive.

I bought a small (approximately 6 inches by 2 inches) Toshiba terabyte (1000 gigabytes) for about $90 at Best Buy, and it works very well for me. It houses my entire music library, all my outdated papers that I still want to keep but dont need to view frequently, and other junk as well. My father and I share the terabyte, which also has backed up both of our laptops. This way, in case our laptops go haywire, we still have all of our documents secure.

The terabyte is also a good option because it should outlive any computer, and it can be used on any computer.

Good luck! :)

6. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I use Google documents.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

wrey's advice is best, imo...

nothing does it better or more cheaply, than a flashdrive... i keep mine on my wallet's keyring, since that's the first thing i'd grab to take with me, in case of a tsunami, or typhoon evacuation...