1. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

Getting Recommendations...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by The Hollow, Aug 25, 2012.

For the record, I've never published anything. Ever. And I'd like to have my novel published. I know this is probably the most original back story you've ever read on this forum and you're probably shocked, but stick with me here.

Now, I have a close relative who published a book a few years ago.

I'm just not sure what to do. I know it's probably useful for a noob author to have an uncle who is already an author, but I'm not exactly sure how to use that connection. Would this make it easier for me to get my work published through his publisher? Could I increase my chance of getting a literary agent if I can get him to review my work?

2. Stupid-Face

Stupid-Face New Member

Maybe you can ask him for advice on where to go for literary agents and publishers? Or (if he has an agent) talk him into recommending you to his agent/other agents?

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

If your uncle would look over your novel and give an opinion. That would be the first step.

But beyond that there are a lot of other factors.

Does your uncle write in the same genre?
    What publishing house did he get published with? Large, medium, small? And what do they publish?
    How well did your uncle's work sell and is he working on something else?
    If he has an agent or editor, will he feel strongly enough to recommend you to the one or both of them--if they represent or publish what you write--if they're taking on clients/manuscripts.

A lot of those questions you can look up or discover on your own, and, have you read your Uncle's novel?

If your uncle is willing to look over your work, and truly thinks it's marketable, he'll let you know and might even try to help. If he doesn't, but has suggestions, strongly consider them. I'd put the ball in his court, seeing if he wants to help after reading. See, his reputation is being put on the line. Plus, I don't know how close your relationship is.

Just a few random thoughts. Good luck however things work out.

4. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

Thanks. I do worry that it might mean nothing because he doesn't even write in my genre - I do young adult fiction, but he does non-fiction (self help).

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

As far as professional contacts and helping you actually get published, he's likely only to be marginally useful, if at all. But as a writer, he still might have some useful insight for you. Also, it depends on his other interests -- if he likes reading fiction, he could be a great source of help, but not because he's published self-help.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since he did non-fiction and yours is a YA novel, i can't see how he can help you, other than by asking his agent to give your ms a look [if he has an agent... and if his agent handles YA fiction] and/or asking his publisher to take a look at your ms [if he has a paying publisher and isn't self-pubbed]...

i'd need to see your answers to all the questions terry [twervin] asked, to be more specific with advice...

7. Chris Crooper

Chris Crooper New Member

Its a nice idea though but for me I still want my work published on time so that I will get the recognition I deserve eventhough it takes a long time...