1. John R Cameron

John R Cameron New Member

Conversion to epub & mobi

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by John R Cameron, Aug 19, 2013.

Hi. First timer on the site hoping someone can share some knowledge with me. Self-publishing my first book in about a month's time, when the editor is through with it.

I'm looking for a professional conversion service to turn my word document into fully QR - multi-device tested epub and mobi pocket files. (I may actually only need the mobi, since lulu seems to do the conversion into epub) - but since lulu doesn't deal with amazon/kindle for ebooks, my plan was to upload the mobi myself on a kindle account.

Please don't recommend a free conversion 'tool' - I have tried several, and they invariably churn out garbage that looks terrible on most of the devices people actually want to view the book on. I need someone who knows what they're doing, laying the code properly. I also don't want a corporate owned service that just plans to outsource the job to India, charge me $199, pay someone in India $3 for the work, and pocket the other $196. I'd prefer the job be done by someone in North America.

If anyone's had a good experience with a company/person please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Terok

Terok New Member

It’s against the rules to promote a service on this site, even if you have no connection to it.
    So I can’t just link you to it.

There is a service that J.A Konrath uses and is linked on his blog, as well as mine.

3. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

Calibre is an excellent programme that - for me at least - has never turned out an unreadable eBook.

If you'd definitely rather someone else handled it, perhaps having a look at Smashwords might be helpful. They provide a guide on laying out your book in such a way that it can be easily converted, as well as a list of trusted people who will do the conversion for you for a small price. Check the FAQ page to find out how to get the list.

4. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

this is actually a question that I had. Thanks Krishan