1. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Essay Writing Sites

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gannon, Sep 24, 2007.

Have you used one?

I'm not planning to because I don't have one to write fortunately.

How were they? Was it personal? Did it get you a good grade? Were you found out? Why use one - other than laziness?

2. dushechka

dushechka New Member

No, I haven't. Never even thought about it, thankfully.

If I did use any sites, it was only to learn how to write an essay, not an essay itself.

It's funny; I actually enjoyed writing them, as long as the topic was enjoyable.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I would never use one. It's not worth it, and they are the only ones who benefit. If I used one for college work, I would be expelled when they found out; I don't even consider it a matter of "if".

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I grabbed an essay offline once long ago in high school. I got found out, but for a very stupid reason. My grammar was too good. I spent five minutes arguing that while it was a stupid essay, and its only good point was the grammar, I was insulted at the reason she thought it was stolen.
    So I got an extra night to write up a new one. I made it about how having a student put in the extra time and effort to improve their writing skills was a good thing.
    The second one did get me good marks.
    But in University, cheating is too risky. If they find out you can get, deservedly, screwed. My two half credit English courses, had students cheating in both of them. In 2 of those cases they were the same students. The T.A. went on a half hour rant about exactly what could happen, and how they catch them. it was good incentive not to cheat.

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Interesting - I appreciate your thoughts and experiences. Cogito I agree they are not the answer and that it's pretty stupid to try and use them at college / university because you will be found out - there is no if.

6. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I never even thought to look for an essay online. Personally I love writing in most forms, including essays, so getting one online would be taking away apart of school that I actually enjoyed lol.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I wouldn't. It's an insult to my own abilities. Besides, I'm an arrogant sod and think I could write better than anyone offering essays :p

8. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

I've never used one of those sites, because I was always deathly afraid of the consequences. My high school had a no tolerance policy for plagiarism, and one of my friends got caught. They failed him for the entire course and he was expelled.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Ouch, that is harsh...