Tags:
  1. ickle

ickle New Member

Writing A Short Speech

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ickle, Nov 28, 2013.

Hi, my name is Gary, I'm 16 years old and I'm new to writing. I have been given the task of writing a two minute long speech on the subject 'Sunshine'. How should I go about this? I have never tried writing a speech before and I don't know where to start. All help would be appreciated.

2. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Toastmasters.org

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but if this is for a school assignment, site rules do not allow us to help you with it, nor for you to ask for help...

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Specifically:
    1. School assignments, contest submissions, or other work that is intended to reflect your individual effort must be clearly identified as such. We will not do your work for you, and assistance will be limited.
    I don't think that includes banning general advice like, pick an aspect of Sunshine to focus on. Write a regular paper on the subject. Read it aloud with a timer to judge the length you need.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

And don't forget, direct, active voice is better than anything indirect when doing formal writing:

subject verb predicate.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with Siena. Toastmasters is a better reference for what you are looking for. Writing (and presenting) a speech is a very different activity from writing a story or an essay. What will serve you best is rehearsing. Speak slowly and clearly to the furthest point of the room, and know your speech - not word for word, but point by point, so you are looking at the audience, not at your notes. Speak with confidence, whether you feel it or not.

7. GingerCoffee

Or just over their heads if looking at them makes you nervous.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Toastmasters recommends making eye contact briefly with audience members throughout the room. Don't hold it too long (only a few heartbeats), or it becomes awkward, but don't stare into space above or among the audience either. Believe it or not, the audience can tell the difference.

9. GingerCoffee

They can recommend, and it may be ever so much better. But when some of us had to give speeches in high school (and in college until I got better at it), I could not breathe when I tried to speak in front of a group. It was bizarre since I had no trouble whatsoever speaking when I was at my seat or seated at a table. But put me in front, standing up, and literally my breathing faltered. Sometimes the next best thing is the best one can do. Looking up is better than looking down.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how are you distinguishing a 'verb' from a 'predicate' robert, when the predicate either is or contains a verb?