1. Lokiman42

Lokiman42 New Member

(Insert witty introduction here)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lokiman42, Apr 6, 2009.

Hello authors and hobbyists alike,

I'm new to the reading and writing scene. (Reading and writing STORIES, of course. My English is quite good. XD) I LOVE a good story, but have only experienced them in the form of movies and/or video games. (Final Fantasy and Lord of the Rings comes to mind.) It's only recently that I've picked up a book for the first time in years. (Last time I did was for a high school book report.... doesn't really count.) Anyway... allow me to describe a little bit more about myself in detail, before I begin to bore you.

My name is Myles. I'm a 22 year old student (taking a medical billing course) that lives with ideas popping in and out of my head every single day. I've always wanted to be a video game designer (still plan on touching the field sometime in my life) because I have several story ideas for role playing games. After working on one story idea for 6 years I've come to realize that it would be more fun to take on the challenge of trying to make a book out of the story (and much closer to the boundaries of reality).

This is where the idea of becoming more involved in writing came in. I don't have many finished stories under my belt, and haven't read many books. But a creative guy like myself who enjoys a great story has nothing to lose. So I've joined this forum to learn more about the art, learn my own style, swap ideas, and hopefully help others in the future. I'm glad to be here and look forward to becoming a regular member of this forum.

Okay, I'm done... =)

2. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

Welcome, and good luck with your literary endeavours.

Good stories need to be told... and read of course. :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Myles, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Hey Myles-Welcome to WF, hope you have a great time here..:)

5. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Welcome to the site, Myles. Since you're new to the reading/writing scene, I'd advise you to do this: READ!!! The more you read, the better you write. So even if you're not keen on picking up a book, force yourself through them and if you're really meant to write, you'll start to love the use of the language in its many, many forms and start to truly grasp why reading is so important to writers.

~Lynn

6. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome! :)

7. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

Hey! I don't have many finished things to my name, not just writing but things in general lol, but I hope you enjoy the process even if you never actually finish it :)
    x