Tags:
  1. Nena

Nena New Member

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nena, Apr 22, 2008.

Hi everyone. I'm Nena and...I'm really not very good at intros. =P

I'm from Texas but I'll be moving with my fiancee to Orlando, Florida in June. He's got an internship to work with the animals at Disney World's Animal Kingdom - so I'm fairly excited about the move.

I like to write YA fiction or Children's fiction, but I'm struggling with my writing so I thought coming here would help spur my motivation and refine my skill a bit. Currently I'm trying to write out an idea I have - I'm not sure what age group it would fit, though, and I'm also having a hard time deciding how to start! I've re-started so many times already and now all I have is a blank Word document. =\ So, hopefully, this is the right place to be. Plus, I love reading other's works as well - I like to take inspiration from the pacing of other people's works, oddly enough. I think I struggle with pacing, that's why.

Anyway, glad to be here!

- Nena

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hola Nena, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Raven

Raven Banned

Welcome.

4. Nena

Nena New Member

Way ahead of ya. ;p

Yeah, I already stalked about and read up somewhere that it's reccomended that I review the works of others before I post anything up myself. Which suits me fine since I have nothing to post yet! xP Plus, I agree that the best way to get a start on your writing is by reviewing others. Like I said, I like to learn from the different styles and pacing of others, plus you have a point in what you said about 'training my eye.' Anyways, I think I'll probably gravitate to the Lounge eventually, but the main place that interested me were the writing issues forums and such. =P I'll try and review and post as much as I am able, though. Andwhen I review I'll try and get the ones with the least reviews - because I know how it feels to work on something and not get feedback. xP

I get a little time to myself between prepping for a move and spending time with my friends and family here in Texas while I can.

Thank you, though, for your suggestions.

5. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

That's a pretty good way of starting your journey here- I'm the same way. :)

Welcome to the Writing Forums! If you need anything, or if you just want to talk, just pm me!

[T A S H]

6. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Your fiancee has an awsome job! Why can't I have a job like that?

7. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome

8. greywolf90

greywolf90 New Member

hello and welcome. i just joined here myself, but how could i not greet a fellow texan? i hope you have a good time in florida.

9. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey, Nena. Welcome to WF.org.