1. princesspea

princesspea New Member

Just a little shy....hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by princesspea, Dec 28, 2007.

Hello everyone,

Thought I should introduce myself now I have registered instead of lurking in the background somewhat eerily.

My name is Melanie and I am 32, married with 4 children. I am a registered nurse who used to care for terminally ill older folk but had to leave my job way back in February 2006 when I became severly ill and hospitalised during my pregnancy. (Sick note I hear you cry? Due to my ever present conscience knowing how strapped for staff and cash the NHS is I thought it fair for me to take a career break so my position could be filled).

I am an avid reader and always have been, dipping into every genre conceived and as I have time on my hands (limited with my 4 kids however) I figured it was time to try my hand at writing. Guess what? I've finished my first novel!

Its full length and I am really pleased with it (spending January ironing out grammar etc before sending ms to anybody though)and got it all down in under two months. I spent every spare second I could juat writing and I love the story. Unsure which genre I fall into so maybe someone could help me out with that at some point?

Even if my first attempt is rubbish (who knows) I know I had the motivation and determination to see it through. If it never gets a public airing I will relegate it to the loft for my grandchildren.

Really hoping I can get lota of advice and maybe a confidence boost, and hopefully some of you could read what I have done and give me an opinion.

Anyway, farewell for now and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Melanie x :)

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Let me be the first to welcome you to writingforums.org.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Melanie, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

First attempts are likely to be rubbish. Some can be revised into gems, some have to be chalked up as learning experiences. But learning, and striving to improve, is part of the journey for every art.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room Forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just bulletin boards for displaying your work (On that note, please post work to be reviewed in only one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hi there, Melanie. Welcome to writing forums.

5. Klee

Klee New Member

Congratulations on finish your first novel! Even if it does turn out to be rubbish, at least you had the courage and determination to do it, and hopefully your next one will be better.

Welcome~!

6. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Hi Melanie, welcome to the forums :) It's very exciting to hear about your novel, I look forward to reading some of it.

7. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Well, that's quite an accomplishment, Melanie! I'm sure that even if it's not the very best, you'll continue to write and become better. Welcome, by the way.

Here's a basic welcome from all of us. It should be obvious, but in case it isn't, let me explain. The Writing Problems Area is exclusively where opinions on different ways to write, blockages in writing styles and similar problems can be discussed. In the Review Room, you can get critical appreciation and/or analysis of your written material. Behold, you must first review two pieces of writing before posting your own. This is ensure the pieces are evaluated to the most. Other than this, we have Writing Cotnests, weekly and monthly, where you can submit your writing. We also have Word games, Book Discussion and so on, classified under Community interaction. It may interest you if you're just hanging around.

adamant has been kind enough to put many of the things I have mentioned or missed out on in one comprehensive place. If you want to check it out, see the Newbie Packets:
    Noobie Packets! - Writing Forums

Enjoy it here, and don't feel shy to ask for help. We are all here to teach and learn in a mutual environment. And we hope you can do the same.

Regards and Best Wishes!

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello Melanie, and a big warm welcome to WF.org, the friendliest and craziest forum on the world wide web.
    It is wonderful that you have come here to join us and share your writing and opinions with all of us.
    If you would ever like a review simply PM myself or one of the other Reviewers and we will be more than happy to help out. You can find the list of reviewers by clicking on the Forum Leaders button at the bottom of the forum. :)
    I do hope that your stay with us is long and prosperous. :)
    Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you around the boards in the very near future.

Thank you kindly

Torana