1. Chris Thomas Sanders

Chris Thomas Sanders New Member

Goodday writer folks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chris Thomas Sanders, Jun 28, 2015.

So, I have this weird relationship with the written word, and I question whether or not I'm cut from the right cloth. Of what I've read of other writers- ( in general) it seems that they have a life long relationship with books and capable readers and writers from earliest memory. But you see, my route to realization that I want to write is completely different to that.
    When I was younger I had this wicked resentment towards almost every subject there was, excluding Art, but absolutely including English Language and Literature. I think i must have spent more time standing outside my class, than actually learning the subject. I was a poor reader way up into my late teens and probably into my early twenties. I remember one of my foreign friends commenting on how long it was taking me to finish a fairly short Alien vs predator book; I'm fairly certain that she was a faster reader than I had been (and probably still is), despite she was reading in a second language to her. I'm quite sure that was the first book I actually read without a gun to my head, I would have been 18 at the time.
    I always wanted to be an artist of some kind. My aptitude towards this one area has without doubt saved me, otherwise I'm sure I would have fell through the educational system, as it was my only redeeming skill. I have always been fairly opinionated, but I've always struggled to converse about these things (Hell, perhaps that's why anyone pursues any kind of art) openly/soberly, so I've always put my ideas into drawings or paintings. I used to do this whilst at school, then later as I studied Art Foundation.
    After this I was convinced that the best way of going about my "Art" was to get into games, as that was a hobby of mine at the time; I figured that that could be an appropriate vessel for whatever I wanted to do, so I studied that for a time, and met with some minor success, however I will stress minor.
    Now, as we get tantalizingly close to the present, all of that other stuff has faded away. I seem to have fallen in love with books. It's like crept over the blind spot of the newer, flashier mediums, and slowly killed them off. There was a time when I thought that diaries were kept solely by fictional teenage girls and my own Grandmother; now I seem to fill books upon books of my own writing and rambling. I'm not sure I have any right to write, but then I suppose anyone has the right to try, don't they?
    Anyway, I'm not sure if i want to write fiction, or non fiction, or graphic novels; I still love to draw, but it would be of my own story; as the single image format frustrates me, or it could be the other way around. So, that's probably more information than anyone needed to know, if you finished it, congratulations.

Oh, and Hello, it's nice to meet everyone.

2. Wrizzy

Wrizzy Member

Well, I've noticed writers seem to have an abundance of thought. You sound like a writer to me. :)

And personally, I think journals and diaries are a great place for self-reflection. Self-reflection allows for authentic knowledge about life. I guess I can't speak for others, but knowledge and an openness/desire to create together feed my writing journey.

Anyways, I joined pretty recently, too, and I love it on this site. Welcome. :D

P.S.--I'm jealous you got to study art. I love art. One of the first things I wanted in life was to be an artist (of the traditional drawing type).

Chris Thomas Sanders likes this.
  3. Chris Thomas Sanders

Hey, thanks Wizzy. Yeah, see for me it's the other way around, now I wish I took some creative writing classes. I think both ways of thinking are similar, maybe. I totally agree with your sentiments about recording and reflecting on thoughts and feelings. I think I've learned a lot from my time with my note book.

Nice to meet you.

Wrizzy likes this.
  4. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Hi! My most inspiring English Lit teacher was dyslexic. He taught himself how to work with his dyslexia in order to conquer the disorder. Then he fell in love with books and writing.

I love unlikely scenarios, and I love stories of overcoming.

Welcome. :)

Chris Thomas Sanders likes this.
  5. Chris Thomas Sanders

Thank you Slob, that's given me some peace of mind. I think a lot of people reluctantly stick with the hand they are dealt, rather than reaching out for new cards. But the stories of the people who persevere give us all hope, I feel. I still have relics of dyslexia and of such conditions, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story!