1. Salt Of The Earth

Salt Of The Earth New Member

Experienced but not...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Salt Of The Earth, Feb 1, 2019.

Hello! I use my handle, Salt Of The Earth for everything, but I go by Salt for short. I'm a 25 year old woman living in Florida. I've been an avid reader my whole life and grew to love writing in middle school. I used to be heavily involved in multiple forums in middle and high school, obsessively so, mostly role-playing and fandom things though. Then when college hit, I got so busy, I didn't read for pleasure for years. I graduated and got married and now I'm forcing myself back into the swing of what I have always loved, writing.

My genre of choice has always been fantasy. I'm currently working on what I hope to be my eventual novel. I'm in the very beginning stages, but the biggest point in the story so far is that it centers around dwarves. I've committed myself to world building before setting an actual plot in place which is an enormous undertaking, so I'm excited to look through any and all advice and critiques I find on here.

Like I said, I used to be a heavy forum user, so I pride myself on good forum etiquette, but that was also quite a few years ago and an entirely different level of maturity. any advice on how to best behave would be appreciated.

Kinzvlle, Nariac and jim onion like this.
  2. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Here's a link to the FAQ.

https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

Here's a link to Duh Rules.

https://www.writingforums.org/rules/

Welcome aboard, and I hope you enjoy your stay! All around people are pretty friendly here. There's a lot of leniency and I've never had a problem with the moderators / administration, and that's the number one thing I care about; this is usually what makes or breaks forums.

@Wreybies and @KaTrian and @minstrel (and all the rest) rarely get the thanks they deserve.

There's a sub-forum on here dedicated to fantasy. I recently read a thread that suggests there's an unusually high density of fantasy writers here on WF.org, seemingly followed by romance, and then sci-fi. In any case you will probably feel at home here.

Also, a lot of resources are at your disposal in terms of different dedicated sub-forums, whether it's publishing, help with world building, plot, character development, etc. And if you wish, after accruing 10 posts (I think?) *and* giving feedback on two different pieces, you can then share something of your own in the workshop.

Besides sharing flash fiction pieces and short stories in the workshop, somebody like yourself can also share an excerpt / a chapter or two from their WIP.

Take care.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    SF Hello.gif
    TakeThis.jpg

Kinzvlle likes this.
  4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

You should fit in fine here. Fox covered everything I can think of so I guess I don`t have much more to say other than welcome and enjoy you`r stay. I also used to hang about some roleplay forums back in high school and middle school. There`s a role-play section here but other then keep my eyes peeled for openings in the DND game I haven`t dipped my toes in there much yet. Dwarves are awesome. Oghren proved this in DAO :D. Is that a dwarve in you`r avatar then? Thought it was a viking inspired warrior type at first but I can see it now. Like Foxx said the subfourms are wonderful lands of splendor. The fantasy ones great and there is both a setting development board and a research board which would probably be the two most useful for world building, but you never know where things will lead. Don`t forget to join us sometimes in the lounge for the more relaxed threads where we all chill out. Also I keep putting off making a thread or article about this on here but I found this in my travels and it could be useful.

Wasn`t expecting to type that much. Well enjoy you`r stay and welcome to family my dwarvey freind.

Cave Troll likes this.