1. Noir

Noir Member

Knock, Knock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Noir, Nov 18, 2019.

Noir here, for lack of more available names. I don't really like talking about myself. Not for lack of ego but rather lack of content. Feel free to check out my profile. I actually filled out my 'About Me' section. Does anybody do that anymore? I enjoy reading the same stuff I try to write which is mostly fantasy, science fiction, and horror but I encourage myself to explore outside of those genres. Being such a fan of the fantasy genre, can you believe that I've never read The Lord of the Rings?

I'm here to try to better myself as a writer. I see other members have created blogs on here and that's a feature I'd like to utilize even though I'm not sure yet what exactly I would use it for. I understand that there is probably a give and take relationship here concerning getting people to critique any work I have the nerve to submit but my lack of practical experience makes me hesitant to offer any advice of my own. I've read countless writing guides, some better than others, and like everyone else here (I assume), I'm an avid reader so I'll do my best.

On any forum I've ever joined, I've never been great at introductions. I either blab on and on in an attempt to fit every little detail of my hobbies and interests into a single post or I say next to nothing so I'll stop here. Questions, concerns, or comments? I'm open to 'em all.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome! I'm Iain, one of the mods here. If you haven't had a chance to yet, be sure to check out New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules, and don't be shy about contacting me or one of the other active mods (jannert and big soft moose at the moment) if you have any questions or problems.

You'll need to have two weeks' membership, twenty posts (which include two constructive critiques of others' writing) before you can post in the Workshop for critique of your own work, but until then, feel free to poke around and jump into any one of the numerous discussions that are ongoing here. Those initial requirements will fly by.

As far as the blog thing, you're welcome to post whatever you want there (subject to the Rules, of course), but any original work put up in the Blogs section is just for showing off. If you want critique, you'll need to post in the Workshop once you've fulfilled your requirements.

But anyway, feel free to poke around and jump in to whatever conversations catch your eye. You'll get a feel for the unwritten conventions of the forum and start to get yourself known so that when it comes time to post for critique, people will be interested in helping you out.

Have fun!

Noir likes this.
  3. Noir

Noir Member

Thanks for the welcome, Iain. I've read both guides but I'll be sure to keep them on hand for reference. The critique requirements are more than reasonable and I'm sure you're right about them flying by. I expect to meet those requirements well before I am even ready to submit my own writing. I just hope that my critiques are constructive enough to be of use to my fellow writers.

I love your profile picture, by the way. I don't know what it is but I like the look of it.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Morgoth_69

Morgoth_69 Member

Hello, Noir.

I am also a new member of the forum. I hope to read some of your words soon. Especially if they are based on fantasy.

Noir likes this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    It's me one year for Halloween, then I chucked the snapshot through DeepDream a couple times :)

Noir likes this.
  6. J Chris

J Chris Member

Hello! I'm new as well.