Tags:
  1. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Seven Crowns, Apr 20, 2017.

I'm just passing through, hopefully staying? I've been searching through writing boards with mixed success. A few I gave up on; others gave up on me. It's all very depressing and I need to keep my attitude positive.

Everyone here seems pretty upbeat and lurking through the threads (like a grue, haha) has inspired me. Hopefully, once people know me better, I'll have even more energy to write. It helps when you're not in this alone.

I've written a lot, a million words? I'm getting close to it. Horror is my specialty. But magical realism, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, dark fantasy, etc. are all possible too. I cross genres all the time. I've even published strange Regency/Horror/Bawdy Wodehouse mashups. (I'm working on one right now . . .) I'm a big believer in writing without limits. Manners have their place, but by design, they weaken what can be said, and it's not a cross I'm willing to carry. The story always comes first.

I don't overlook much in revisions. I can find truly bizarre approaches, and I think that helps my own work a lot. I am very kind when offering advise (I think . . . I try to be). I've seen plenty of hostile crits and shun them like a sickhouse. I try to be one of the good guys.

I think that if a writer wants to improve they need to do three things:
    1. Read the best authors in your genre
    2. Study theory and build your vocabulary/grammar/style
    3. Revise your work and others
    Anyway. That's why I'm here.

(I should mention: this is the slickest forum editor I have ever seen. It makes all the others look like Geocities.)

2. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Active Member

Welcome to the boards, Seven Crowns. I joined myself not all that long ago, so far everyone here's been kind and supportive. I hope you get very comfy here!

Seven Crowns likes this.
  3. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to sharing ideas :)

Seven Crowns likes this.
  4. truthbeckons

truthbeckons Active Member

> turn on brass lantern

Hi!

I think your three starting points are great, but I'd add that you should also read as much as you can fit in from outside your chosen genre, too. There's stuff to learn from all great writing that'll make one a better genre writer.

I'm a relative newcomer, but I couldn't resist that thread title. Hope you do stick around.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  5. Seven Crowns

Can't disagree with that. I've read some of your threads here. I think we share many writing philosophies. See you around!

6. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

Seven Crowns likes this.
  7. Seven Crowns

Thanks! This sums up my amazement at the forum (it's more moderner than before):

8. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

I knew it! Blasted grue, got me again...

Welcome to the forum though. I will say that out of all the ones I looked at before joining here, this was the best. I've gotten some amazing advice and help here as well, and the system itself is great. See you around, I have a feeling you'll be staying. haha

Seven Crowns likes this.