Tags:
  1. pjhblackcat

pjhblackcat New Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pjhblackcat, May 7, 2009.

Hello!
    As you can see, I am new here. Being new here, I am, as expected, posting in the inroductions section of the forum. Excuse me for stating the obvious, but I am really at a loss of what to write at the moment.

Phoebe is my name, and I am an aspiring professional ballet dancer. I am also an amatuer photographer, and I own my own written RP forum, based on Brian Jacques series 'Redwall'. I have been told I have a knack for writing, and though I am still undecided as whether to pursue it as a way of life, I see now as the time for me to improve whatever skills I may have. Therefore, I am here, at this forum, attempting to learn what I can of the art of writing, whether it be in the form of screen-play, short story, poem, etc...

Just because I am at a loss for as what to write, and because I am not yet satisfied I shared enough about myself, I will continue on, in the hopes you may know me that much better.
    I have always dreamt of being a ballet dancer, and now that I am here, progressing through advanced stages of this beautiful art, I have grown a habit I am not sure whether I like or not. When somone calls me a ballerina, I absolutely scream inside. It sounds so stereotypical for someone who knows nothing of the emotional and physical stress a ballet dancer goes through to call someone who takes ballet a ballerina. Also, the word ballerina has been tagged to objects such as pink tutus, princesses, tiaras and what other nonsense. Honestly, when you think of the word 'ballerina', what do you think of? I can almost guarantee that your thoughts do not wander to words such as pain, sweat, hard-work etc...
    Yet another thing I am strongly emotional about; The fact that for some reason, ballet is considered a girl thing. Disagree if you will, but I know for a fact that male ballet dancers are the among the most athletic men in the world. If you thought that ballet was just for girls in pink tutus, think again. And the stance against men taking ballet because of the requirement to wear tights? Did you know that football players practically wear tights?
    Now, enough about ballet; I think I have said enough for you to chew on, so I shall tell you a few more things about myself for now.

The animal that holds the most of my admiration is definately the tiger. So powerful and sleek, my dream has always been to photograph one in the wild.
    The thrill of being in peril is something I look forward to each morning as I wake, though I try not to be to dangerous, for my career depends on my well being.
    Smoking has never peaked my interest; I neither condemn nor support people who smoke. I wish not to offend anyone here when I say I have no interest in politics at the moment, and yes I do think these are some points worth mentioning about a person.
    Fantasy is more than half of what I have ever read in my life. The things you can do when writing fantasy have no limit. You can create gods or fantastical creatures as you wish, you have but to put pen to paper; Or, in most cases, fingers to keyboard.
    Ever long I have been an artist at heart, transfering my emotions and thoughts to paper, either with pencil or brush, since I was an infant in diapers. Van Gohs works enthral me, and I have many of them on my walls here at home.

Now I believe I shall retire for the night, since it is getting late and I feel as if you know me much better than before.
    May the stars watch over you, as well as myself, these darks hours of the morning, and may I find the motivation to wake myself in but a few hours to continue that tiresome and beautiful task of living.

2. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome! :)
    I do understand about ballet being tough physically and emotionally, and have never held ballet dancers in anything other than awe and respect, male and female.
    Hope to see you around the forum ;)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Phoebe, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

When I lived in Boston, many years ago, I had a season's pass to the Boston Ballet, and knew a couple of the dancers fairly well. They undertake a very grueling regimen, with long hours, and injuries are a constant concern. You have my respect.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

hi pheobe, welcome to the forums. i agree, ballet is not just for girls and as my friend used to do it i know how much effort and dedication iot needs so i congratulate you.

again welcome to the forums and hope to see some of your stuff on here soon

5. pjhblackcat

pjhblackcat New Member

Dalouise-
    I look forward to reading some of your work, and hopefully when I do get around to posting something, you might read and critique it perhaps?

Cogito-
    What a coincidence; I will be cooperating in the Technique and Pointe Workshop at Boston Ballet this year, and I am extremely excited!
    Yes, I do understand better now about the constructive criticism requirements, and I shall try to meet them to the best of my abilities before I post any of my own work. I hope to be able to keep active on this forum, I think that it would be a great benefit for me if I did. Thank you so much for the info, I am sure it will all come in handy!

Fantasy Girl-
    I truly look forward to reading your book, "Crystal City: Tabithas Rescue". I doubt, though, that I will be able to sufficiently critique you work, as I am but a beginner.

6. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Hey Phoebe. I'm TheHedgehog but you can call me Hedge. I am thirteen years old; male. :-D I sure as heck can't dance to save my life, but I know we have at least one common interest: writing! I'll take a visit to your page, we must have something in common. I've read a bit of Fantasy; is that what you prefer to write and read? What about music? Music, yeah... definitely. Play an instrument?

I see you like to paint. I've been in my school's Advanced Art program, but that's really the extent of my pursuing that. You seem to be a very interesting person. Nice to meet you. *shakes hand*

7. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

thanks