1. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

Younger "Author" from Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dwspig2, Sep 28, 2007.

Hello everyone!

I always hate introducing myself, whether it be in a forum, in person, over the phone or in some other fashion. I just hate to introduce myself. I tend to be a backward person in some regards. I suppose the more politically correct way of putting that is that I'm more reserved until I get to know you. My English teacher would call me reticent.

Anyhow, I'm introducing myself now. I'm actually surprised that I'm doing it so quickly. The last time that I signed up in a forum, I didn't introduce myself for - I believe - three months. I would just read the posts, but then I finally broke down and said "hello." Here, though, I registered yesterday evening and in less then twenty-four hours I'm writing my introduction post.

I really do enjoy writing, but that feature should be apparent if I'm in this forum! I love to write essays for school, and my friends think I'm nuts. I suppose what it is that I really like is words. I call myself a lexophile, but that might be an overexaggeration. I like grammar and syntax as well. Those are odd characteristics for a college frehsman, but I they're mine. My friends also call me grandiloquent, and they complain that I should use words that "normal" people would use.

About a year ago, I started to write my "novel" on the recommendation of a friend. She thought it would be a great idea for me actually to sit down and start composing, and she could not have been more right. I have enjoyed most of the process, but sometimes I feel like the "work" is not turning out the way that I would like to. The first few chapters were good, in my eyes, but some subsequent chapter I think could use some improvement. Perhaps I'm just too hard on myself, but I think the over quality has "deproved." (That's another one of my weaknesses: I tend to create words when an already-existent word doesn't suit my needs.) Anyhow, I say "novel," because I don't know if you could call it that. It's not turning into the thriller that I would have hoped, but there does seem to be some possibility for it - I just haven't identified what the possibility is.

So, I know that people don't tend to read super-dooper long posts, so I'm going to quit writing now. I hope I don't sound like a total bore. Perhaps I'll even brave it and share some parts of my "novel" for critique. I personally enjoy criticizing - criticism does not have to be negative! - other's work, so I'm looking forward to doing that as well!

2. wordweaver

wordweaver New Member

Welcome! One newb to another. ;)

3. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Hello!
    I'm a reserved person more than you'll ever know.
    Welcome to the forums though, and I look forward to your many newly discovered words that I'll just have to look up. : )

4. absis minas

absis minas New Member

Hello!
    The criticism procedure has never worked for me but I do understand that it works for others. I can't wait to see what you post!

5. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Welcome to the forum. I am interested to see what you can do with your writing. Look around and post away
    cheers

6. newguy

newguy New Member

Hellooo thar!!!!

I've read in yar intru that ar a stikler fer propar syntex...
    if ye ar then ye'd be bettar off no' reedin' any 'o ma intru
    hahaahha
    anyways
    welcome to the site
    here resides some tof the best reviewers and writers that i've come to know!

but remember to do yer fair share okey yungin'!

7. chloe.spencer

chloe.spencer New Member

Welcome to WF, dwspig2. =)

8. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome! I hope you like it here. Have fun and don't hesitate to ask for help. Adn don't worry. Being reserved is good.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello dwspig, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

10. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I don't tend to like online word games, no matter what the forum is! I have other things to do with my time besides posting one-word posts in a thread designed to go on ad infinitum. If I post something, there will be some thought behind it and I would hope that it contributes somehow. That's at least one thing that I've learned throughout the past few years of writing on forums; I hate it when people just post random crap that doesn't contribute. I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

I feel self-conscious about posting my writing, especially if I haven't reviewed other people's work. I think of it as a reciprocity issue. Maybe I'm just goofed-up like that. I probably will tend to correct/edit/critique more than I ask for help, but that's okay with me. I hope it's fine with everyone else. I especially like to offer grammar advice. That's one of my favorites!

11. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Hey there, welcome to the site. I am Heather and can always been found around here somewhere. If you ever need anything reviewing, need a little help or just want a chat then send a PM my way and I’ll be more then happy to help.
    Heather

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

LOL @ newguy! :p

But welcome to the forum hey. I hope ya have a great time here with all of us and I look forward to seeing you around the board.

13. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I feel similarly about the word games but that doesn't stop many from jumping in there wholeheartedly and everyone seems happy enough that way. I tend to like critiqueing more than putting my own material up but that's because I struggle to find the time to write my own, where as critting takes more suitably sized portions of my day to accomplish. Anyway I look forward to your prescence around the site, be that in any context. BTW 25% of my university degree was pure syntax.

14. yfc54

yfc54 New Member

Hiya

Quick message from another new guy. Which part of Pennsylvania are you from? My daughter goes over to Philadelphia (to wrestle would you believe) and she loves it. I think she'll move there permanently. Good luck with the forum.

15. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hey there! Have another, albeit belated, welcome from me, lol. Hope you're settling in alright :)

I don't think people are likely to mind you helping them rather than you asking for help ;)