1. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

Hello from British Columbia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Quanta, Nov 4, 2016.

Hello,

I am working on a teen fiction novel which I think, falls into the low fantasy category.
    My aim is to convey that there can be magic in real in life without the need for handsome vampires and the likes if one knows where and how to look.
    I am working on my fourth draft and it currently sits at 38 thousand words. I will probably go through one more drafts and a handful of beta readers before I am ready to submit it to publishers, hopefully sometime next year.
    French is my first language but writing in English feels more spontaneous, probably because most of the fiction I read is in English. I will translate my novel myself submit it in French too.
    I found this forum while looking up websites by unpublished authors, which are difficult to find. I am thinking creating one for myself soon and I would like to see what others are doing.
    I don't promise I'll be an avid writer here; I have already found out that the more time spent on the Internet, the less time spent on the novel, but I'll be glad to help if I can.
    Thank you for the opportunity to learn and share.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Welcome, Quanta!

I'm Canadian, too - spent about eight years in Vancouver, but I'm back in Ontario, now.

Your project sounds interesting - that's a tricky length for publishing, but I wonder if you may have luck in the smaller-but-more-flexible Canadian market. All of my stuff is published in the US, but there are some really interesting small Canadian publishers - for short YA, I'm thinking about Orca, but there are others as well. If you take that route I'd love to hear how things go for you...

3. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

Hello BayView,
    I live up north, east of Prince George. It is nice to get a reply from you. I was intrigued by the book title in your avatar so I have visited your website already.
    I've had my heart set on Orca for a long time, but I still have a way to go, so we'll see. My word count has been going up and down with each draft. I started this one at 35k and I am about half way through. I would love to go up to at least 40k, but I won't fill pages with useless stuff to reach that goal. The story will be as long or as short as it needs to be, or so I hope.
    Thank you for your advice. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Quanta, and welcome to WF. :)

Oh you're lucky to be bi-lingual! :D Especially if you get to translate your own work 'cause at least then you'll know exactly the kind of tone you'll go for in the translation and can afford to take liberties to get the message across if it comes to that.

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around and good luck with your manuscript. :)

-Kat

5. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

Thank you Carly for the welcome!
    Hello Kat, thanks for the link to the Quick start.
    Book and movie translations can be quite lousy sometimes. I'm glad I'll be able to do the work myself.