1. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Moose Enterprise SUCKS

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by Lmc71775, Jul 8, 2010.

What a joke. I just thought I would share this. I got (for the first time ever) a nasty response from an editor. Here's what he wrote.

I would like to thank you for consisdering Our Publishing House.

A terrible submission letter.

No a dressed person, no information, no subject matter, no requests.

Poor all around.

Rejections will soon follow.

Study up on the proper way to submit an address letter and do the research and address letter to the proper person, and researching the guide-lines for submissions would be an asset to you.

At this point in time we are unable to give your work the consideration that you were hoping for. I wish you success in placing your work with a suitabnle publisher.

The Best of the Day tio You

So I wrote back (I couldn't resist) telling him thank you, but telling me "rejections will soon follow" is a bit harsh. I didn't have the proper submission "he" wanted. But it says in the Book Markets for Children Writers 2010 a bio and 3 sample chapters or the full manuscript if it's a picture book. And nothing on the site to guide you. So how was I supposed to know. I told him thanks for the tip, here's a tip for you. Learn how to proofread, I notice some typos.

He couldn't even put it in a letter form himself, paragraphing it. He just did lines.

I don't know about you guys, but I would steer clear of this company. And the joke of it all is it is a subsidy pub.

Just thought you should know.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm curious... why were you querying a subsidy publisher to begin with?

3. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

I didn't know until afterwards

4. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

Maybe you should present yourself properly in the future...

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

She said that she didn't know.

How rude of the pub....thanks for the heads-up. Don't let it upset you. Have some ice cream or something. I've read your stories, they're great.

6. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Oh Mallory...that is so sweet. I think I'll treat myself to a chocolate malt instead. Thanks again for the encouragement.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

from now on, before querying, check out each 'publisher' and agent at preditors and editors first... then check out their website carefully, plus google for feedback...

8. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

Allow me to play the part of the contrarian.

Instead of fuming about it, sit back and look at what you wrote, go through the basics of writing a query (just to make sure), and be honest with yourself. Rarely is rudeness on the part of a business acceptable, but neither is responding in a similar manner. Remember: kill them with kindness.

Either way, best of luck and I hope you get published :)

9. Ennui

Ennui New Member

Cool down...the publisher was supposedly in a bad mood. It could be that he had emotional problems, angst, lack of fiscal back-ups, or enraged over your cover letter's presentation. Since you had experienced this, report this to Writer's Digest immediately (I suppose that there is a note in Book Markets for Children Writers 2010 which says that markets which are uncouth can be reported and deleted).

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So what? It's a completely unprofessional and unacceptable response.

If any customer-facing employee ever wrote with such disrespect to a potential customer/client, in any of the companies I have worked for, they would be reprimanded at least, or likely fired.

It reflects badly on the company.

11. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Thank you Cog, that says it all right there.

And besides the point I did do research as to how to submit. They didn't have guidelines on the site, all they had in the Market Book was bio and sample of work.

I try to be as precise as possible. Sometimes I write these big fat proposals if they call for it. SO I do read over and research it as much as I can. Like googling and the beware (editors and preditors site too)

I didn't know I would get such a nasty response. After I emailed back he responded again (which leads me to think he has nothing better to do with his time, normally your lucky to even get a rejected response)

Anyways he said he is only human and makes mistakes, as for the spelling he mentioned he was Canadian and they spell differently (no excuse) and that he was only trying to help. (ya right) He did say "best of luck to you" so whatever its over now.

I do sincerely appreciate all the support and help you guys have given me.

12. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Getting an apology always does make forgiving and forgetting much easier.

What genre did you write? I know you write kids' stories, those are the ones I've seen (they're great) Do you write other stuff too?

13. eratos

eratos New Member

Given the lack of writing skills demonstrated in the reply, I think you should consider yourself lucky. I wouldn't let that dolt anywhere near my manuscript. What a horrible way to conduct business.

The flip side is, even though the guy was a moron take it as a cue to do more research. If their submission requirements are not clear send a quick note and ask for them.

14. eratos

eratos New Member

He attributed his obvious spelling errors to being Canadian? For real? I'm Canadian and I write with an American co-writer. My spelling 'errors' consist of adding 'u' to words like color...ie: colour. That guy is an idiot.

15. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

I know right? It is no excuse. I know that Canadians have their own way at spelling things differently. But "to" isn't spelled "tio" as he put it that way. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, Mallory I write anything from poetry to short stories of children's and or adult horror. So I have a wide range of things I write.