1. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

Main character or secondary character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Aidan Stern, Oct 10, 2015.

I suppose the title of this thread is a little misleading. The two characters I'm talking about are both Major characters, I'm just deciding which one should be the Main one. The one, I write most often in his perspective, but the other is the subject/topic (not theme) of the story. Which should I consider my main character. I wanted my MC to be the one who is the subject of the story, but as I was writing in the other's PoV, I thought that this may be, for lack of a better word, wrong. Is it possible to have to equally Major characters, therefore making two MC's?

2. Parker101

Parker101 Member

Having two or even more main characters isn't massively unusual, though it is notoriously harder for the writer to pull off. However, if you feel you know both characters well enough and have a clear idea of where the story is going, then there's no reason you shouldn't have two main characters. Even if it's clear one is the main focus of the story, there's no reason a second main character can't add a lot to the story as well.
    Hope this helps