Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenJ61

StevenJ61 New Member

Hello all, I finished a draf of a hard scifi story and am looking for test readers.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by StevenJ61, Feb 19, 2020.

First off I wanted to introduce myself. I found this forum by using a search engine to find a writing form focused around science fiction. I myself am a big fan of soft classic science fiction as well as more plausible science fiction. The past few years I have spent on world building and creating a pseudo history for a near future science fiction setting one and a half centuries from now roughly. The story follows what I believe to be a more natural progression of world events, including a third world war, that lead us into the space age where our solar system is colonized with billions living off Earth in natural gravity and centrifuge habitats on Earth's Moon, Mars, Eros, Pallas, Vesta, Ceres, Ganymede, Io, Europa, and Callisto. Our solar system is divided between two supranational interplanetary governments the League of Independent Nations (United States, Europe, Japan, South Korea, Canada and most former NATO members) and the East Asian Alliance (China, North Korea, Russia, India, most of middle east and Africa plus other former soviet states.)

The story follows the perspective of a Commander Kat Von Hamburg who serves as the First Officer on board a frigate in the beginning of the story but later becomes the command officer of a Corvette. The frigate, the LINSN Excelsior, she was serving on was destroyed in combat but the crew module ejected saving her life but many of her crew died. She's young, determined and her family roots in the LIN Space Navy run deep as her brother died commanding an experimental corvette and her father was a former Navy Admiral now senator in LIN House of Lords. The conflict is between the EAA and the LIN starting over Io. Io was split territory with the light side facing Jupiter belonging to the LIN and the dark-side belonging to the EAA. The EAA was caught producing high yield fusion bombs en-mass which led to sanctions against them including blockading access to mining Jupiter of deuterium and helium 3. DEH3 in the story is the petroleum of today as all interplanetary vessels are powered by DEH3 as are many stationary reactors.

If it's not fusion it's fission or solar. Access to the large gas giants, Jupiter especially, is critical as are the mining and refinement of fusion fuel as well as the transportation of fusion fuel across the solar system. Anyhow the LIN amassed troops along the day night terminator on Io and the EAA crossed the line and fired first starting off the first large scale inter planetary war which is how my story starts. I spent a lot of time researching drive technology even figuring out the exact delta v, burn time, rates of acceleration for not only the military ships but also the guided missiles and civilian ships. I wrote entire timelines for the sake of continuity, character biographies, side arms, have extensive scenes portraying what life is like on low gravity dwarf planets such as Ceres. For the record, it is mainly going from natural gravity habitats of 3% of one g to vacuum trains that take you to rotating centrifuge habitats ranging from 50% of one g to 100%. If any of this sounds interesting to any of you out there send me a PM, email me. I have a rough draft which is a summarized draft of the 16 chapters for the first book, a synopsis, and also a catalog of all the ships in my book including drawings and technical specifications. I included a picture of the corvette the main character Kat Von Hamburg gets to command within the first few chapters of the story. I spent months of research using Atomic Rockets (http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/) and listening to Issac Arthur of SFIA (https://www.isaacarthur.net/) as well as studying US Navy ranks and command. I am not a veteran myself in case if anyone was wondering nor am I active service.

Attached Files:

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

sorry bruh - to ask for beta readers you'd need to be in the collaboration board, but you don't yet meet the criteria (90 days membership and100 posts)

:closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.