1. AlphaWerewolf10

AlphaWerewolf10 Member

Characters with demon blood

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by AlphaWerewolf10, Jan 29, 2014.

I had this idea that the MCs of my trilogy would have demon blood in them, and it keeps them safe from possession and they can sense demons (possibly). The possession immunity is what makes them able to defeat the villain.

My question is, would it be too similar to the TV show Supernatural to have these characters have demon blood?
    In Supernatural, one of the MCs finds out he has demon blood in him. Turns out he is part of the villain's ultimate scheme. He has psychic powers because of the blood, and starts drinking demon blood (becoming addicted to it later).

2. Earthshine

Earthshine Member

It really depends on a number of things. I mean, there are a number of books/shows/movies which have characters with 'demon blood' or something similar in them. It really depends on how you can make the idea of demon blood your own. Maybe they were born like that instead of ingesting the blood. Maybe the way demons work are different from Supernatural. Ultimately, as long as you make it your own, it shouldn't be too similar.

3. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

You'll be fine. There are many more stories/shows/fantasy worlds that have the concept of demon blood. There's nothing new under the sun. Just write your story well and you'll be fine.

4. AlphaWerewolf10

AlphaWerewolf10 Member

That is a good point. I will play around with the idea, maybe create a few possibilities and see which I like the best.

5. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

I watch Supernatural. Current season is quite good, by the way. :)I remember when Sam had demon blood, I think the producers/writers presented that pretty well.
    Like others above mentioned, you won't be the first one writing about a person with demon blood. You have many possibilities here.
    Maybe demon blood gives your MC some supernatural powers, or maybe it just affects his personality. If he starts drinking demon blood, MC could become connected to demons, maybe hear their thoughts… But it could also backfire, demons could hear his thoughts.
    I think if you start writing, this issue might resolve itself. You as a writer will get to know your character more and more, you will see his characteristic development and therefore you'll know in which way would demon blood affect your MC the most, how would he react etc..
    It happens lot of times that your initial idea is quite changed during writing. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  6. PBrady

PBrady Active Member

It is not a new plot device by any means. It's what you do with it that matters.

Would it confer any other mundane powers?
    If it gave the carrier immunity from all viruses and bacteria that could be a bonus.
    They could then market it as a cure and use that as a ruse to try and convert large numbers of people.