1. Michaela Burns

Michaela Burns New Member

Thinking of changing my love interest?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Michaela Burns, May 28, 2017.

So, I came up with this story idea forever ago, and started outlining about a month ago. I've started writing, and have gotten to the point where I was planning to start incorporating the romantic subplot.

However, while writing, I've realized that I don't think my MC and her love interest's personalities really mesh well. I feel like my readers might end up not really understanding what they see in each other. But, while writing, I feel like she'd go really well with one of my supporting characters.

This might change my story fairly substantially, so I'm a bit nervous. Any advice?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

A subplot is meant to explore a theme. For a Romantic subplot, the love interest needs to complete the MC in some way. An example: The MC is someone who is very quick to act, the Love-interest is someone who is methodical in their approach. Through their opposing philosophies, they learn from each other, and this is how you explore the theme. With that being said, there needs to be something that attracts them in the first place.

Thundair and Michaela Burns like this.
  3. amerrigan

amerrigan Active Member

There are many relationships built on the foundation of being with the person who is not right for you, while the person you feel you should be with is sitting right next to them. The two who match may never get together and spend their lives as partners who make each others lives better, but are never able to both feel complete due to the commitment made to the other love interest...

My advice is to write both version, not to completion. Start to write both versions, and see which one you like better, then persist with it.

Unlike real life, you are able to try out those 'what if I was with them instead' fantasies and see how it goes, and pick the most compelling version to read and write.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Arktaurous34 and Lifeline like this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'd say go with your instinct on this one. The best-laid plot in the universe won't work very well if your characters and their relationships aren't convincing. If you stick your character with a romantic interest that just doesn't work, the chemistry will feel 'off.'

If you feel attraction between your main character and another minor character that you didn't expect, then don't ignore it. Work with it. If it messes up your plot too much to change the actual circumstances and allow them to be together, then you could let that latent feeling of love between them just cook away in the background.

Maybe you'll keep to your original plot plan, because for your character it's too difficult to change things—she's made a committment she can't get out of, etc. But if she actually loves another person? The fact that she has to sacrifice her feelings for the greater good, or something along those lines, would add bite to the subplot. Could that work for you here? All love stories don't have to end happily, you know. Some of them don't. Some couples who love intensely never get to be with the person they love. That's one of life's sad realities. As a writer, you can work with that.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'd say go with your instinct. The last time I forced my two love interests together because it was "part of the plan", all my beta readers told me it was most unsatisfying to see them get together, because they felt my MC deserved better lol. I'm rewriting this particular book and this time, I'm changing the love interest. The back stories and relationship history are still the same - but I'm just gonna let it develop in a different direction. One of my minor characters has turned out to have quite a personality and she's starting to look a lot better for my MC lol.

jannert and Simpson17866 like this.
  6. Ale

Ale Member

For romantic subplots I always recommend trusting your instinct. If your characters don't mesh well, the reader will pick up on it. It's very special when character chemistry comes up naturally, too many stories have forced romances.

jannert and Simpson17866 like this.
  7. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Member

I'd say write a bit of both romantic subplots and choose the one that feels "right".

8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

When I started writing the Doctor Who fanfiction in my signature, I initially imagined one of my leading protagonists as being asexual-aromantic like me. Half-way in, he retroactively turned out to have been bi the whole time, and he somehow turned out to have what I personally think is an amazing romantic subplot with one of the other guys in the story (who was not initially supposed to be into guys either).

I had to do a lot of rewriting to get this to work, and it was absolutely worth it. If your brain is telling you that you like your MC as being coupled with this other character, then do it :cool:

jannert likes this.
  9. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Let the story find its path. I have written stuff in the past and didn't recognize it later, because my characters would sometimes surprise me.

The story I am working on now, the MC caught his girl friend in a compromised position with her female gym instructor. He left her. I was taken aback, not what I expected him to do.

jannert likes this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That's why I'm a fan of not over-planning any story. As you write, you get to know your character better and better. You start to live inside their head, understand how they speak and how they feel. This evolves, and rather than creating confusion, it can create clarity. Suddenly you understand that this character would NOT do this or that. This may well screw up the plot you'd planned to follow, but if you are willing to make the changes, your story may well end up being stronger, because your character has become more 'real.'

I'd say never (and I don't say that often) force your character into a mold that doesn't suit them, just for the sake of your plot. I can't tell you how many times I've walked away dissatisfied from a movie, TV series or book because the writer did exactly that. When a character starts behaving against their own personality and viewpoint, I lose faith in the story.

izzybot likes this.