4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I don't care

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

PC's versus Laptops

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Torana, Nov 29, 2007.

Ok so I personally prefer having a laptop myself. I find that it is far more conveinient when I am writing a poem or working on a story to be able to pick it up and take it with me rather than have to leave it sitting down and walk away from it.

Also when you gt sick of where you are sitting and want a change of scenery you canpick a laptop up and go to another room or sit outside and even take it down to a nice spot somewhere inthe wilderness and write away. A PC you can't do that with.

SO what do you think is better and why?
    What do you prefer, PC or Laptop?

2. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

PC purely because I havn't owned a Laptop and they seem too confusing so I'm sticking with PC.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Both are actually PCs. I use both desktop and laptop PCs. I prefer the keyboard and display of a desktop, and I can add upgrades and peripherals more easily. But I like the portability of the laptop, and I can use it nearly everywhere.

I really hate laptop touchpads though. For both types of PC, I use trackball pointing devices.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Both.
    A laptop has too small of a screen and too small of a keyboard, plus I don't like the touch sensors to move the cursor around.
    But they are much more convenient then a desktop.
    So I like both. When I get the chance I use my laptop more like a desktop computer. Back when I lived at home I had my laptop hooked up to a big screen monitor, a good keyboard, and a great mouse. Effectively it was a desktop.

5. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I use a laptop and think it's much better than a desktop computer. It's just so much more convenient and easy to use for me, I don't think I'd go back to using a desktop computer. I like being able to chat in bed or move to the lounge room to watch TV while I'm typing up an assignment.

6. Torana

I hate using a desktop keypad. The keys are far too chunky and I found that the touch pad of a laptop far easier to use. I also like the idea of the touch pad instead of a mouse. I just find that a laptop is far easier for me.

Although my desktop (sorry for the earlier mistake by using PC instead of desktop) does fix rather easily by giving it an almighty boot :p as for my laptop it requires me to be gentle with it and get a technician to fix it instead of my foot lol :D

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I can and do leave my desktop machine running 24/7, and it can even ride through power failures up to about half an hour. That makes it pretty convenient for quick lookups and such.

I can also put a lot more disk storage on my desktop.

8. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

We're warned off doing that over here, Cogito :p You're encouraged to turn your desktop PC off at night to save elecrticity.

ETA: Electricity, even.

9. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Ew. Trackball mouses; I hate those things. Otherwise, I agree with what he said.

10. evizaer

evizaer New Member

They are both useful for different reasons. Just tools to accomplish similar tasks in different scenarios.

As such, I have no preference.

11. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I like desktops more. I've had botha nd because I like to play alot of video games a laptop is impractical for my needs. My comupter has to be upgraded with new processors and graphics cards every two or three years so I can keep playin great games.

12. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

I have both PC and laptop, but i only use my PC. I like it better than my laptop ( which i gifted to my brother).

13. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

... I have a full-sized keyboard and a 17" screen on my laptop. :p

In all honest, it really depends on what you intend to use it for.

I absolutely love having a laptop. however, if you'll only use the computer at a your desk, there isn't much purpose in buying a laptop. Moreover, you get a lot more for your price when purchasing a desktop.

14. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

That's true. A desktop has a lot more features than a laptop.

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I have a laptop, and I like the freedom it gives me, to be honest.

16. Sayso

Sayso New Member

My life is my laptop. I have just plucked up the courage after two years and connected it to the internet instead of having to turn on the family desktop for access. I have everything on my laptop (all backed up) and it would break my heart to lose it.

I use a wireless mouse instead of the touchpad though as it's the only thing I don't like about them.

17. Banzai

My touchpad is too dodgey to use, and the buttons on it don't even work. But I have a wired mouse (how quaint!) which works perfectly well, and which I actually prefer.

18. adamant

Wired mouse over wireless any day. Batteries die at the worst times, they can get lost, some things can interfere.

I also dislike wireless internet; it never seems to remain stable. So it doesn't much matter which type of computer I'm using. However, I believe you can generally get more bang for your buck with a desktop - so that kind of turns the tide in their favor. All depends on your situation really.

19. Banzai

You need better wireless internet then, adamant. Mine is generally fine.

20. adamant

Routers always seem to die... and my university's wireless killed over too. Network death touch I suppose.

www.network.die :(

21. Banzai

Lol. You kill all wireless networks you come into contact with then? :p

Screw university, then. There has to be military applications for that. You could make millions :p

22. adamant

Reminds me of those 60's FBI programs that experimented with psychics. A novel idea if I do say so myself. I'm coming for you Russia.

23. Torana

lol adamant, you really do frighten me sometimes!

I will stick with my laptop...when it comes back to life that is. If it doesn't I will just get a new one. I can't live without my laptop. It is the one thing that keeps me going everyday. Well kept me going. Even if the net is unavailable to me, my laptop really does wonders for me. I write constantly. I don't get much chance to anymore. I am so busy with everything that is going on and I find that it is easier if I have my laptop so that when I have an idea i can quickly jot it down. I find it hard to write at the moment with pen and paper due to wrist troubles, my Desktop I can't carry around and plug in where ever I go so a laptop really is the only way for me to go.
    When my daughter goes into hospital I can sit with it and write and when I go for a drive and get inspiration I can pull over and just type it out.

Just for me a laptop makes sense. I won't get rid of my Desktop though and will always have one I guess. But I won't ever use it unless I have to. I hate them. I also dislike wireless mouse pads. They go flat at bad times like adamant said. Get lost etc.

24. adamant

Try learning to write with your other hand... get a tape recorder for the meantime... or dictate to a child and have them write for you.

25. Torana

ha ha if I got my children to write for me the walls would be more than just covered in green texta right now. I can write with my other hand it just takes much longer and tape recorders i have tried but I end up with a tape full of me going blah blah blah gerble berble oogity boogity boo and so forth cause I feel like a complete idiot and I get stuck. I guess I am just lazy at times.