1. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Book signing protocol

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by JLT, Oct 2, 2016.

I have arranged to provide for a book signing at a local bookstore. The last time I had one was when I provided the copies of the book, and the store owner charged retail and we split the proceeds down the middle. That meant that I ended up with a bit less, since the cost of the books themselves came out of my pocket. This time, the bookstore propose a sixty-forty split. Should I insist that they deduct the cost of the books from the proceeds before we make the split, or should I absorb the cost of them? I don't know what the standard procedure is here, and I'm hoping that people could share their experiences with me.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I have no clue about standard procedure, but I'm curious as to how much the cost of the books is, as a percentage of the sale price.

3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I've heard/read about how this works somewhere online, but, sorry, can't remember the address. The info is out there for Googling, I know that.

Anyway, what a nice problem to have! Congratulations! :supercool:

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

The agreement should not cost the author out of pocket for each novel sold.

I was just at a signing event this weekend, and it was an 80/20 split, with 20% going to the bookstore. That is the absolute best I've come across, but I have a longstanding relationship with the bookstore. The 'worst' I've had is 60/40 with 40% going to the bookstore.

I get novels through my publisher at 50%, so a 50/50 split would make less sense for me. One could argue 'exposure' and 'hooking readers for future novels' but there is no reason an author shouldn't make at least a small monetary gain for each book sold.

The bookstore doesn't have to do much. Maybe provide a table, chair, and some space. I guess if they did some major advertising via newspapers, they would be out money. But really, any additional books sold, either directly by the author, or by the author drawing some traffic, is a plus for the store.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    joe sixpak likes this.
  5. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Thanks for your posts, everyone. It looks I've got a lot to do to edumicate myself on this.

6. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I have had more informal book signings at restaurants, even the gym at which I am a member, and have sold 80 copies in two months. The deal I make is the venue is free, I bring my own cash box and credit card swipe, and the restaurant/gym helps with the publicity/facebook. They don't get involved with cuts on the books at all.

7. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

If I made any money I would take their deal.
    There is no standard. Everything is negotiable.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Place your forehead against the monitor. I will give the old John Hancock. :D