1. questionmark?

questionmark? New Member

Plot help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by questionmark?, May 10, 2011.

O, so I have a plot pretty much worked out, and I'm going to post more at some point, but for now this is what's important for you to know. There is an alien race that is superior to every other race in the galaxy, and they believe this is because their God ordained it to be such, so they force the other races to compete in the Purity Games, and the loser's planet(s) is(are) destroyed, but they don't find this out until the end.

The way it works, is there are five species, four competitions, one species is eliminated every time, until there is one left, who stands at the best of the species not of this superior one. Obviously, humans are competing.

So for these competitions, I have three picked out and ready to go, but I'm still trying to come up with the fourth one, if anybody can help? The ones I have now are as follows: 1) A race to the planet of the superior species 2) ??? 3) a labyrinth type challenge 4) a fight between the last two species.

Also, if you think you have a better idea than any of those challenges I do have, let me know, it would be much appreciated. Thank you much!

2. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

Some sort of game of wits? Those other ones seem to take brute force into order, even the labyrinth one requiring speed

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why would you let other people come up with your story for you?

You've made a decent start. Now sit your backside down and start writing. Never mind getting ideas from other people. Let them write their own stories.

4. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

This is the best advice you're going to get. Also, be careful what you tell people. I know this is a secure site, but I always keep my story ideas to myself until I finish writing just in case.:D

5. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I think we all have enough imagination to think of our own ideas, rather than steal a plot/story lol

6. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

Why have a Plot Creation forum so?

7. Leatherworth Featherfist

Lol... You're right. I guess I just get paranoid sometimes, especially when it comes to the internet. :eek:

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

To learn how to develop a plot. To exchange ideas on how to develop tension, or to connect events, etc.

It's about learning to think like a writer.

9. Leatherworth Featherfist

I could be wrong, but I think this forum is to help people with the process of plot creation; helping people know what to look for or address when creating plots, rather than helping people with the actual content or ideas of their plots.
    I think.

10. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

Still though, if you only need one little push to really get going, shouldn't you be given the push?

11. wicked_poppies

wicked_poppies New Member

I do not love the tests you’ve already laid out. I think you need to first develop what qualities make one race better than another, and then create tests to find out who is in possession of these qualities. The tests you’ve mentioned seem a little too contrived and overdone. A race, a maze and a death match? I don’t know what qualities the superior aliens would be looking for, but I would assume that it would be something like inelegance, endurance, ability to adapt, and the speed in which they do these things. “How fast can the species complete a complicated puzzle created by the superior race?” “How tall and sturdy can they engineer a building?” “How quickly can they adapt to different climates?” “If you give each team the same items to survive with, how do they use them and how effective are they?” "Do they tend to work as a whole, or as individuals?" "Can they sacrifise for the greater good, or are they too self important?"

12. questionmark?

questionmark? New Member

Sorry I took so long to reply, my computer crashed. Not happy about that. But I see what you guys are saying, on all counts. I probably should just come up with this stuff on my own, you're right. And for the qualities.....I hadn't thought to look at it like that. Thank you much for the help, I appreciate it. And I will bear in mind in the future that I should only ask for help with concepts, not content :)