1. oneofgreatcuriosity

oneofgreatcuriosity New Member

Crammin' it All in

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by oneofgreatcuriosity, Dec 21, 2010.

I'm currently revising a story of mine and it's divided into four sections. From the way I've written the first draft, the climax occurs at the end of the third section. This means the main plot is languishing in the first three parts, but picks up with alarming speed at the last section. So I'm wondering, is this okay?

I mean, obviously it's okay. But would it be too much to cram into one section? I probably should mention each section is a neat four chapters.

In the last section, I have to push in three taunts from the antagonist, discovering the true identity of the antagonist, baiting the antagonist three times, and finally ending with the death of the antagonist.

Is this too much? Should I pull it forward to the beginning/middle of section three? Or do you think just having it at the last section is okay?

Input is much needed! :D

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Don't be afraid to move your story around. I personally find after my first draft is done changes will be made to the story. It makes for a more balanced stories I can cut characters out etc.

3. oneofgreatcuriosity

Yeah, I'm in the process of moving things around and adding/cutting scenes. But I'm just wondering if having majority of the main plot ideas in the last section is too much. I can easily change around a few things so it spreads across the third section as well, but I like how it is now so I'm just asking you as a reader if you would think it would be too forced.

I have a lot of subplot ideas to help me along in the first three sections, but they can be bumped aside to make room for the main plot if I have to.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Does anything important to the main plot happen in the first three sections? If not, scrap them. Subplots aren't a good enough reason to keep them.

Why are you wedded to this four-section structure? It sounds like the story is trying hard to not fit into it. Let the story determine its own structure.

IMO, of course. :)

5. oneofgreatcuriosity

I just did away with a super word-consuming subplot... So I guess my problems solved now... Haha... = =

And it's in four sections because my third person limited viewpoint switches throughout the book. I mean, I'll probably scrap it if it really does feel like my stories begging me to let it out of its tight structure, but I kind of like it and think it works... :)

Thanks for your help!

6. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Without having read it, my worry would be that the last section might feel 'rushed' to the reader if too much happens.

I'd experiment and see if some of the later events could be embedded earlier on.