1. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Anyone using google docs?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Alesia, Aug 31, 2013.

I've been messing around with this thing, but i noticed an issue wherein, I start a new paragraph and hit the tab key, but the cursor jumps up to the top of the document and indents the top paragraph instead. Anyone else noticing this?

2. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

I use blogger. I have a blog for general writing and a separate blog for the novel I am working on. I never publish anything from my novel so it can't be seen. It is very nice as it is accessible anywhere and is backed up on the blogger server. I also can download backups very easily.

3. Alesia

I use blogger for my website. It's pretty good. Docs is getting kind of annoying. The same issue popped up again today, except it block indented the entire paragraph.

4. idle

idle Active Member

I use Google Docs all the time, but don't remember any issues of this kind. But I don't think I use the tab key for indenting.

5. EmmaWrite

EmmaWrite Member

I've used google docs a lot and have always had problems with indenting. Now I use five spaces in place of the tab key.

6. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Google docs is surprisingly good I thought it'd be bargain bin

I don't think I use tab for indents though, it has some annoying habits

7. Alesia

Maybe I should just ditch the tab key then

8. idle

idle Active Member

You can always tweak the document styles so that the paragraphs indent automatically. Set the indent marks on the top ruler (the little blue horizontal bar is for the first line indent), then bring up the context menu (right mouse click on the paragraph) and select "Update 'Normal text' to match". All "Normal text" paragraphs should then indent.

9. Sandfire

Sandfire New Member

I use GoogleDocs, but yeah, I don't use tabs much for indenting, so I don't know. The issue I usually have is that once my manuscript gets over 30-40k words it seems to have trouble loading and starts crashing frequently. Either that or makes a horrible delay between when I type and when the words pop up on the screen. Current hack is to break the manuscript up into separate files as it gets too big.

10. idle

idle Active Member

I've heard from other people that they have troubles with big files too. Luckily I only write short stories, so this doesn't matter to me.