Tags:
  1. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

Grammar book?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by hoodwinked, Aug 1, 2009.

My grammar is horrible. I know what sounds right and what doesn't, but I don't really know the grammar rules. And highschool English is absolutely no help.

1. Yesterday, Mary (goes, went) to school.
    2. Later, Joshua (will eat, has eaten) spinach.

That's a sample of our English grammar section. Totally pointless.

So I thought I would teach myself a bit more about grammar and punctuation. Any suggestions on what books to order? My Writing Bible suggested An American Rhetoric by William Whyte Watt, but I'm not sure. It's expensive, and a little voice in my head says I'm not smart enough for it.

2. Ferb

Ferb New Member

When in doubt, I always go for one of those "For Dummies" books. They're surprisingly helpful, to the point, and easy to understand.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

In my studies, I have enjoyed A Modern Course in English Syntax-Routledge. Cambridge English Grammar. Used on Amazon for $18 and up. If you are handy with internet searches you can find it free.

Warriner's English Grammar and Composition: Complete Course. A tad outdated, but most everything taught in it applies today. You can find it used on Amazon for $10.

Any version of Style by Joseph Williams, starting at $2 used on Amazon. Though not much about grammar, the book is great and a must have. Many published authors swear by it.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Strunk and White, The Elements of Style. Every writer should have it, and read it.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

True. The Elements of Style is free online. Honestly, though, Style brings Elements of Style to a whole new level, which is said by many authorities, especially the 150-page version.

But those are for style, not so much for grammar.

6. chrisrozwod

chrisrozwod New Member

I love the grammar girl podcast. If I were to buy a grammar book, I'd buy hers.

You can find the podcast on itunes. The problem is that the podcast only covers one issue/episode. I'm sure the book would start from the beginning and give you the basics.

7. murphcas

murphcas New Member

Agreed! I had to get this book for my Advanced Composition class in college, and even if I didn't have to buy it for that class I needed to get it for my Intro to Journalism class the next semester.

8. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

Elements of Style!!! THAT's the book I was trying to remember the title of for another thread. Thanks!

Thanks for all the help, guys. I will definitely read a couple of those.

9. Green Tea

Green Tea Banned

Alpha Teach Yourself Grammar and Style in 24 Hours

A book designed for English speakers who want to brush up their grammar.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

arch [and everyone]...
    the one that's free at bartleby's is NOT the strunk & white that most seasoned writers consider a 'bible' of writing style!... it's only wm strunk's 1918 original, that was later turned into the s & w by e. b. white, of 'new yorker' and 'charlotte's web' fame...

the one that's in use by writers today is the 4th ed. of the collaboration...

11. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I agree that The Elements of Style is a must. I have it, and have read it.

I'd like to recommend another. I found it a great read, and that it has many valuable insights that helped me greatly with my writing.

It's called The Writer's Coach by Jack Hart.

Charlie