1. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Ms word question

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Tesoro, Sep 19, 2015.

Every time I edit my ms's I have to remove the indent of the first line in each new chapter or scene to it's usual position before submitting. I was wondering if there's a way to create a template in ms word that resembles a manscript regarding this. That makes indents for each new paragraph EXCEPT the first after a blank space (scen or chapter break)? ANyone who knows?
    Or if pages or Scrivener can do this?

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I use OpenOffice, but have exactly the same problem.

I find that if I backspace the indent from the first line of a new chapter, or first line of a scene after a line break, then it removes the indent setting for the whole document. What I do to avoid this, is wait until I've pressed enter on the keyboard - this seems to set the indent. I can then go back and backspace the first line without it removing the indent settings for the rest of the document.

I've not discovered a way to do this automatically.

3. Tesoro

Yes, I usually do this the last thing I do after the final edits, because as you said, otherwise it removes the indents for the rest as well. I just wish there was a template that could do this. I've checked the manuscript templates in Word and while the seem good they still have indents in those places where it shouldn't be any.

4. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

I found instructions on how to use styles to work around this problem. Basically, create a style for non-indented paragraphs and a style for indented paragraphs and set it so that when you are in a non-indented paragraph and you press enter, it creates an indented paragraph for you.

Not an ideal solution, but better than manually removing indents.

Tesoro likes this.
  5. Tesoro

That sounds interesting, I'm going to check that out. :) Thank you!