1. qWirtzy

qWirtzy Member

First Thing's First

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by qWirtzy, Oct 23, 2015.

Hello World!

I've been writing for a while now, but this is the first time I've reached out to such a big community of fellow writers. Wow, there's lots to see! I'm really looking forward to hearing what other writers are interested in, what creative struggles we have in common and what questions are out there that I feel I can help answer. A little about me...

In addition to my graphic novel work (sci-fi and American historical fiction), I write short fiction and am working on a trilogy of fantasy novels in a near-Earth setting. My interests lie in adult fiction, self-exploration and character-focused drama, intertwined with progressive social concerns and queer-positive romance.

2. Erez Kristal

Erez Kristal Member

Hey there qwirtzy, welcome aboard!
    What do you mean a near-Earth setting, like in our own solar system?
    Your writing focus reminds me a lot of mine.

Why do you choose to write short fiction instead of focusing on your novels?

Have a great weekend.

Erez.

3. qWirtzy

qWirtzy Member

By near-Earth I mean that there are bipedal sentient humanoids (who refer to themselves as human), breathe air, eat, sleep, reproduce sexually, etc., on a planet that is Earth-like in climate/geography, gravity, etc, but that is different in several ways. It's not in our solar system, in our time or even in our universe. It's not Earth, but it nearly is!

Sometimes a short idea just comes to me and I want to explore it. It's also easier to find a home for short fiction than for longer pieces, so I think it helps get my work out there without requiring such a big time commitment from readers...or from me, heh. They make a good brain-break from my setting, too.