Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuroOokami

KuroOokami Banned

What strikes your fancy - genres / books / writing styles / subjects

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by KuroOokami, Mar 1, 2012.

As the title says.

I am curious. I have read everything from LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Wuthering Heights, Dune [all of them], Beowulf, and other older books. Including the seemingly doomed Anne Rice to a few reviews / comments I've read [she takes forever sure, but they're books you got to grit your teeth to and finish off nonetheless]

I find some mystery / fantasy of more modern stuff. But I have always preferred the older works, probably cause I've always found that they have more depth to character and personality as well as an actual storyline behind them than a lot of the modern garbage [Harry Potter, Twilight, etc].

Now why I am asking is because most of the people I mingle with in real life in the town I live in are rather ignorant to books - I can mention any of Tolkien's books and get 'oh yeah the movies [for LOTR]'.

So I have some questions if people would be so kind to answer.

What is your favorite genre?

Your favorite sort of book? One that builds to suspense or right off the bat?

Writing styles? First person, third person... even second person? Focus more on a select few people [person] or try to involve everyone in the script?

Subjects? Dragons? Werewolves? Vamps? Sci-Fi? Aliens?

Thanks in advance.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

What is your favorite genre? I don't really have one, but Cosy Mystery does tend to be the one I check the shelves for first. (not always)

Your favorite sort of book? One that builds to suspense or right off the bat?
    Again either. For me it is one that weaves the story, character and setting together so they all form part of the plot.

Writing styles? First person, third person... even second person? Focus more on a select few people [person] or try to involve everyone in the script? Again all of the above. To be honest I don't really notice narrative much unless it jarrs with the story. The ones I clearly remember afterwards are the ones that got it wrong in my opinion.

Subjects? Dragons? Werewolves? Vamps? Sci-Fi? Aliens? I don't really do vampires but if there was a great story I might be tempted. My favourites are stories about decent, quirky people and heart warming relationships between family members.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are alrready threads for each of these questions. Please don't start a new thread without looking first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.