1. Domasylum

Domasylum New Member

I don't know what a good title would be

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Domasylum, Sep 7, 2008.

Hello

I've been keeping track of my writing for a couple years now, and I hope to post as much as I can here. I like to write about slightly abstract things, like psychologically challenging stories illustrating subtle but disturbing drama. For example, the last story I wrote was a stream of peacefulness occasionally broken by horrifying acts of violence. I also like generally different or abstract forms of writing; I was never into writing generic stories of wizards, dragons, or anything. Although I do like to write about the video game Oblivion.

And, what is this Posting Credit thing? How do I gain this Credit?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Posting credits refer only to your ability to start threads in the review room, thus posting your own pieces for review. In order to get posting credits you must review a fellow members work. It is a method the forum uses to help ensure that everyone has a high chance of getting a review and that there can be more reviews than posted works thus helping people get more feedback.

To get posting credits for your username just go tot he review room (any of the boards there will work: Short Story, Novel, Poem, Song Lyrics, Fan Fic) find soemthing you might be interested and help that reader improve their piece by giving it a review.

Once you've given two reviews you have sufficent credits to post a piece of your own for review. So: Every 2 reviews you give lets you post one piece of your own.

I will however advise you not to give a weak review. Don't just go in and say I liked it and go. Depending on how much effort you put into a review and how often you review you improve your chances of getting really helpful reviews yourself because reviewers will feel more inclined to put more effort into your work after you've put effort into the work of others. I know I try to avoid reviewing works from those who I notice do not give very helpful reviews.

Review as often as you can and as well as you can and you'll get more help on your own pieces.

Here are a few links on the sight on reviewing:

Reviewing as a Creative Art
    Why Write Reviews?
    Review System

Seeing how this is your first post i'll also post this link: Welcome to Writing Forums.

Oh and by the way... Welcome to WF.org :D.

3. Domasylum

Domasylum New Member

Thank you very much, quite informative.

I always do enjoy helping people with their writing, anyway.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Welcome to the forum.

5. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

Welcome :)
    I look forward to reading some of your work.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Domasylum, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

As lordofhats said, reviewing credits are constructive (specific and helpful) reviews of other members' work, at least two for each work of your own you wish to post for review.

But posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hello Domasylum, Hi and welcome to the forums!! [​IMG]

8. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]
    i enjoyed playing oblivion awesome game:D

9. Domasylum

Domasylum New Member

@Cogito: yes, my first impression was that the Credit system was a waste of time or inconvenient, but my second impression found it to be a good course of action. I'm also glad people here like to inform as much as possible, thank you.

And thanks for the warm welcomes.

10. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Welcome to the forums!

11. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

Welcome to WF!