1. RayAlamo

RayAlamo Member

Aspiring writer, paratrooper turned penmanwordsmith.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RayAlamo, Nov 1, 2016.

Hey guys and gals, pleasure to be here! i hail from NYC, but now bounce around the country as Uncle Sam sees fit. I've always wanted to tell tales, and spin stories, yet life always has a habit of crushing that creative bug. Now at the end of my time in service (coming up on 10 years!) I'm turning over a new leaf and putting pen to paper. I'm about halfway done with my first novel (sitting pretty at 42K words!!), and hope to get some feedback, and advice. I've seen a lot of the world and I think some of my experiences are worth telling. So here's to that!

2. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Welcome Ray. :)

It's lovely you landed on WF-land, a place of magic, rainbows, happiness and prancing unicorns. That is, if you stay in the crystal forest over there.

*Points at the very small patch of crystal trees*

The rest of us mill around the never ending plain of procrastination, or the pits of doom. Wherever you wander, you will be sure to bump into the many useful, clever and kind spirited souls who float about. I'm sure they will gift you with feedback and advice, if you ask nicely.

To settle in, I highly recommend the quickie comps (Poetry or Flash Fic), they don't take long for a bit of lighthearted fun. If poetry is your thing, you must enter the Haiku comp. It's only 17 syllables and involves a nuke!

Voting for Flash Fic -Stripping Naked: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/voting-for-flash-fiction-contest-36-stripping-naked.149032/

Enter Haiku comp: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/poetry-contest-278-theme-image-005.148928/

I'm sure I've convinced you that you're at the right place where your writing will flourish. I look forward to your work being posted in the workshop since your background sounds interesting.

Good luck, stick with us and have fun!

Linny

RayAlamo likes this.
  3. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Yup...glad u found us! I'm brandy new too, and seriously digging into my writing. I find this site inspirational. It's helped me tighten things up, at least my words. Are you writing non-fiction?

4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hey there @RayAlamo :)

Also welcome from me - and forgive me for my curiosity but what genre are you writing here? Just curious here :D

5. Lady Fickle

Lady Fickle Member

Welcome to this lovely place!

RayAlamo likes this.
  6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to WF!

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. :)

Are you working on a novel or a short story or something else? :)

See you around! :superhello:

-Kat

7. RayAlamo

RayAlamo Member

Hey thanks! I'm writing fiction, a story that's been kicking around the can when I was overseas.

8. RayAlamo

RayAlamo Member

Thanks! And not at all, I'm writing a fiction novel. Not exactly certain of how to bracket it yet haha.

9. RayAlamo

RayAlamo Member

Thanks for the welcome! Working on a novel. Gunning for 80K words so I'm halfway, but I've got the whole thing mapped out which helps!

10. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Yes, I do the same thing...mostly. But only loosely. I start with characters, then decide how I want to use them, then...the story sort of writes itself. With some stuck times, here and there. Taking a vacation break next week, but right back on it after that. Keep us posted on your progress.

RayAlamo likes this.